The First Guy To Hurt You In College

The First Guy To Hurt You In College

A devastating story of opened snap chats and few replies

19
The First Guy To Hurt You In College
Youtube

So, it has started. It's the first day of the rest of your life. You wake up early, you make sure your hair and attire are appropriate to make good first impressions: this is it. You take a deep breath, walk out of your dorm, and there he is: a guy you have already spoken with a few times and even had an ongoing snap streak with. How was it possible that he looked even cuter in real life than he did on Snapchat with the puppy filter? Oh well, now's not the time. You told yourself all summer that college was going to be strictly about grades and that making friends or even dating were just a plus if they happen. You walk outside and see the campus busy with people. This is going to be your new every day life. As you begin walking to class, you catch yourself wanting to text him and explain your excitement or even ask how his day was going, but that's stupid, you think. You have just seen him. His day was going just as well as yours. Here we go, first class.

That didn't go bad at all. You love your professor and even though Pre Cal isn't your expertise, the class went well. You catch yourself wanting to text him again. "Well," you think to yourself, "his first class is over too. I want to just wish him luck on the rest of his day." You figure that instead of a text you'll shoot him a Snap Chat of the beautiful scenery on the way to your next class. Sent. In you go to the next building.

This is definitely going to be your toughest class. Thank God for SI and tutors. You unlock your phone to see the Snap Chat he must have sent you back about how excited he is and another beautiful scene from around campus. "Opened 1h ago." No reply? Odd. Well, everyone is busy on their first day. He must have just not had enough time to snap me back. It's lunch time at Memorial anyway. He'll probably say something back by the time I'm done.

You don't know why, but this actually hurt your feelings. You guys were on the same page in summer—"NO DATING"—and all of a sudden his actions actually hurt you. Are you catching any feelings for him? No. Impossible. You send him a funny picture to brighten his day and show him that you're rooting for him. Sent.

Memorial is definitely the best place to eat (Shout out to Miss Rosie!). You open Snapchat even though you have no new notifications. "Opened 23m ago." Wow. He's having a bad day. He probably got lost or something—no need to bother him.

You're done with classes for the day and you decide to take the long route to your dorm so that you can pass by fountain mall, and also because you don't know any other way. You send another snap captioned "Should I blow some dining dollars on Starbucks?" Sent. Opened. Typing... Opened 2m ago. Opened 3m ago. Oh well. No Starbucks today. Then you see him. There: at the very place you were just contemplating about entering. You're so excited to ask him how his day went, how he's doing, If he really got lost earlier. You just genuinely missed him. But there she is: she pulls up a seat and smiles. "No big deal," you think to yourself. You've made tons of new friends of both genders. She's probably just a friend.

You turn back around and continue the walk to your dorm. After a few hours, you decide to study with some friends out in your floors lobby. You gather the necessary books and snacks and begin walking towards the lobby where all of your study group has already assembled. There he is, in the girl's lobby. Waiting, on his phone. You forbid yourself from saying "hi" because he obviously has not wanted to talk to you today. As you sit in the lobby trying to focus on your reading for Christian Scriptures, you see him again. He walks out with her. The same her. You know her. You are in the same club with both of them. Not only does he completely ignore you, but he shows signs of definitely liking this girl. Ouch. Oh well. You weren't anybody with the authority to tell him different.

3:00 A.M. rolls around and you are done studying. Just as goodnights are said amongst your group, there he is. With her. Again. Laughing. An obvious sparkle in his eye after just one day. Ouch again. She walks into the hall right behind you. She has no idea that you even know him, that you have spoken with him, that you have kissed him. She doesn't even know that you like him. There it is. You just confessed it. You do like him.

One more Snap won't hurt. You know he's awake. "Good night! (-:" you caption it. Sent. Unopened. Unopened. Unopened... Opened. "Hey, sorry, my phone has been dead." What? He does know that you can see when he opens your snap chat, right? He does know that you walked right in front of him as he waited ON HIS PHONE in the girl's lobby? He knows, right? Or does he? Are you so insignificant to him that he literally does not notice you? As bad as you know that you shouldn't reply because of his lie, you do it anyways because you're excited to know how his first day was. "Hey! lol. Np. How was your day?" *puppy filter added* Sent. Opened. No reply.

Okay. Now this is really starting to bug you. You no longer care if he is talking to someone else or even if he likes another girl, but him being rude is something you are not going to tolerate. But it was his first day. You give him another excuse.

A few days go by and he has still ignored you. You finally get the guts to tell him you need to talk to him. After what seemed like a reluctant agreement, you walk to his dorm. He allows you into the hall and y'all begin walking towards his room. You are planning out everything you want to get off your chest. "Even if you don't like me as anything more than a friend, you should still treat me like a friend. You can't ignore me almost all day and then lie about it." You're repeating this sentence in your head. You get to his room. He shuts the door. Just as you are about to blurt out the rehearsed phrase he pulls you in for a kiss. Never had you felt complete confusion and a total relief from all worries at the same time. You sink into the kiss. "Okay, what did you want to talk about?" He pulls up his roommates desk chair so that he can face you as you sit. You take a second to get your thoughts together. Rehearse the line one more time and out it goes. You tell him. You wait.

His reply? Almost devastating with how little thought was put into it. "Well, you literally always text me at the worst times." Why can't he text you? You begin to tell him that you don't want to spend all day together, but 5 minutes a day doesn't seem like too much to ask for. Then you let it slip.

"I just don't think that's too much time. I want to know about your day. I really like you." Oops. There it was. Exactly what you told yourself you wouldn't tell him.

"Oh. Okay. Well I have a party to go to tonight so I'm going to start getting ready. " You try to ignore what you just told him as you assist him with his wardrobe. "Which belt?" "What shoes?" "Does this look okay?" Of course he looked okay. He was very handsome. You leave his room with him but your night is going to consist of friends watching movies together, not a party. He begins to walk down the stairs, but right before he does, he pulls you in for another kiss. This one was different. You don't know if it's just wishful thinking, but it definitely felt different. At least you got to talk to him.

A couple of days go by again and he is completely ignoring you. Why? What did you do? It's not like he was freaked out about you liking him, he kissed you. It's 2:00 A.M. on the first Thursday night of school and you just can't hold it in. You need to talk to him again. He seems to only reply to you when it seems sorta important. You send him a chat on SC "I either talk to you tonight or I stop talking to you." Sent. Opened.

"Well I'm with a friend right now."

"Well. Find time."

"Meet me in the second floor lobby."

"I'll be there in a second." Read.

You meet him in the lobby and begin talking to him. "Look, I don't know what girls you hang out with, how many girls you talk to, or even what you've told them..." He stops you.

"Are you talking about *insert girls name here and a few descriptors*?"

"Yeah. She's one of them."

"Don't worry about her. I did start to like her, but last night she sent me a text saying that me and her were never a possibility. She even told me I wasn't cute at all."

"I'm just letting you know that none of that gives you the right to treat me badly and to ignore me." *Small victory*

"Yeah I understand, but I'm not purposely trying to treat you badly and you can't tell me I treat you like crap." You don't argue. He's never going to understand what he has actually put you through. You're going to go to a friend's room who is next door to him anyway, so after the talk you just follow him through the hall. For a split second you speed up and are ahead of him and just then he calls your name. "Come here real quick." You follow him a few steps back to the open boys lobby and he kisses you again. You missed him. You really missed him.

While it may seem like he hasn't done anything to you. He has already hurt you. You know this, yet you stay.

This is the first college guy who will hurt you.