To Freshmen, From a Freshman

To Freshmen, From a Freshman

A freshman's journey through their first semester of college

45
To Freshmen, From a Freshman
mscend

Life since high school graduation hasn’t been the same. We have had to leave family, friends, teachers we admired, co-workers and other people who had a great impact on our lives behind. College has been a great transition for some of us, and not so big for others. It has changed the way we manage our time, the way we interact with people, and our perspective of how serious we take our academic work. Even though we have been in college for only four weeks, we felt these changes since the first day we set foot on campus. Everything around us felt different, exciting, and uncertain.

Since our first day on campus, we have met new people from different parts of the country and from different parts of the world. People who speak different languages, have different religions and who see the world differently than you. During these past few weeks, we might have felt frustrated, alone, and unwelcomed, but I can reassure you that everyone else on campus was feeling the same way. The students that were here before us felt similar to what you have experienced or are experiencing now. That is why we should look up to them for support and comfort. They are our role models and we will eventually become theirs too! Take advantage of the programs that are offered around campus. Get involved in clubs, volunteer programs and possibly sororities if you’re up for the challenge!

One of the most important things in college besides your studies is maintaining a healthy life style. Although for some of us we see it as an impossible task! Having to read 30 pages of text before your class the next day will encourage us to eat “fast food,” in other words, RAMEN NOODLES! It’s a quick and easy meal, right? Well yeah, but it will take several days to digest and it might even cost you a stomach ache if you eat them frequently, which will most likely happen to us because our schedules are super busy. This is the claim we use as college students, but the reality is we have so much “free time” so during our “free time” we can make an effort to go to the dining hall to grab some lunch or dinner.

Eating healthy is not the only component for maintaining a healthy life style. Sleep and exercise are crucial components too. Planning out an agenda for your day is a helpful tip to being successful in college and getting an abundant amount of sleep. Although sometimes, things come in our lives that prevent us from getting a good night’s rest. Especially during our first few weeks in college. Missing home, stress, and procrastination are some factors that can affect our sleep schedule. If you encounter these problems, asking for help at the health and wellness center can make a difference. Exercising is also important to take into consideration. Allotting fifteen to thirty minutes a day or during the weekends can have a positive impact on your health!

By the end of your first semester in college, things will feel much different. You might realize that you have created good habits like going to the gym, eating healthy, getting a good night sleep or planning your days ahead of time. Or you might realize that you have created some bad ones, such as procrastinating, eating ramen noodles every day or staying up till three in the morning watching Netflix. Whatever the case may be, you can fix your bad habits and you can improve your good ones. At this point, you will be fully acquainted with the college life style and you will be ready to take on that spring semester! The most important things to remember while being a freshman in college is to make connections, get acquainted, and get involved!