The effects of Kindness

A few weeks ago, I went to Arizona to visit some friends. On the plane ride there, I managed to sit right next to a middle-aged woman who was quite the chatty Cathy. At first, I was kind of annoyed because I had little to no sleep in almost 35 hours. However, the more she talked, the more I realized she may have just needed someone to vent to. I then became more engaged and really listened to her and conversed with her for most of the plane ride. She was actually a really nice person and I'm glad that we talked.

After my conversation with her, I couldn't help but think: What if? What if more people were like me and listened to someone who didn't have anyone else to talk to? What if that person not only listened but held a conversation with the individual and showed them that someone out there cares and that there is good in this world in days where faith in humanity can be lacking?

Would it make people feel less alone? Would it lower suicide rates? Would it also lower occurrences of tragic events like mass shootings?

The truth is that I don't truly know, but I honestly hope so. I know that with me personally I am not very open about the struggles that I endure, and many people don't even know the half of what I've been through.

So, with that being said, there has to be more people like me. Everyone has a story, but not everyone wants to share theirs.

Some people may be on their last straws with their lives, feeling completely empty and like there is no one left that cares.

So why not be the difference? Why not be that one person that cares?

Why not talk to the cashier at the grocery store, a person eating alone at a restaurant, or the person sitting next to you on the plane?

See, if you do these things and give people the time of day, you just may restore a little bit of someone's faith in humanity. You just may save a life.

So please, the next time that someone tries to talk to you, don't be close minded. Talk to them because some days we just need someone to hear what we have to say.

Be kind, always.

All my love,

Kamille