The Edumacated American

The Edumacated American

American politics at their finest

10
The Edumacated American
christianpost

Even If you don’t follow the news much you’ve probably heard that Hillary Clinton is under investigation for an email problem that could be detrimental to her career and that Donald Trump loves to make fun of women (and everyone else for that matter). Bernie Sanders is known for his socialistic approach which undermines the constitution, and then there are a few candidates from either party whose names get thrown around every once in a while. Many Americans claim that all these candidates are less than desirable choices.

If we hate those in the running then how are they getting elected by the so-called voice of the people? First, I think it would be helpful and well-worth the time to review some basic terminology when it comes to politics. Then we will take a brief look at the front-running candidates and conclude with why this is relevant to you.

In general terms, a democratic government is “a system of majority rule through elections; empowers majorities, groups, and officials”, according to We the People: An introduction to American Government. The word constitutional defines “a system based on rule of law, including legal protections for individuals; empowers individuals; empowers individuals by enabling them to claim their rights in court”.

Next, we also have a free market which outlines an economic system that is based on transactions occurring between private parties which ultimately give power to business forms and the wealthy (according to "We the People: and Introduction to American Government). All of these terms are necessary to know when trying to understand and interpret politics.

Now let’s talk about the difference between political parties. We have our donkeys and elephants, also known as democrats and republicans. Those who associate with the Democratic Party tend to lean left in the political spectrum meaning they tend to lean liberal, while those associated with the Republican Party tend to lean right or lean on the conservative side. It is important to remember that just because someone associates with or even identifies with one party does not mean they believe the party is correct about every topic.

Democrats generally support increased government involvement in economics, decreased spending on military issues, and have a social/community responsibility for individuals’ well-being. They tend to support gay marriage and abortions, believe that higher income earners should be taxed more, and support universal healthcare. Democrats support assisting undocumented immigrants, and feel that government regulation is needed to protect the consumer.

Republicans stress the importance of individuals’ rights, support increase in military spending, oppose gay marriage and abortions, and largely support the death penalty. They believe that the free market should set wages and that there should be a flat rate for taxes regardless of the amount of income you earn. They feel strongly that too much government regulation can hurt the economy and support increased border control protection.

With that being said, let’s take a look at some of our presidential nominees for the election. We have Hillary Clinton, wife of former president Bill Clinton. She is running as a democratic nominee and has served as a U.S. secretary of state, a U.S. Senator and First Lady. Bernie sanders, another democratic nominee, U.S. Senator, Chairman of Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs and was a Member U.S. House of Representatives. On the Republican side we have the famous Donald Trump, best known for his television and real estate success as well as Ted Cruz who has served as a U.S. Senator and a Solicitor General of Texas.

Even if you hate the world politics, there’s a good chance you believe in things like liberty, freedom, truth, equality and justice. So when you check the box next to a candidate’s name I pray it is because you have done your own research and sought out the person you feel will do their very best to fight for your American dream.