4 Ways To Deal With Your Anger

I am not a licensed therapist or medical provider, therefore this article is not to be used as such. Instead, see it as an article to help guide you in a healthier direction when finding solutions to minimize your anger. If you are dealing with anger issues, please consult your primary care physician, or reach out to Better Help.

Everyone has dealt with anxiety, stress, and even anger at some point in their lives. For some, it's a daily battle with coping anger issues. In fact, it can be brought on by something rather random, or it could even be caused by a highly stressful job where you are dealing with incompetent coworkers and feeling rather under-appreciated. Although life tends to bring along this type of stress that piles on top of the already raging volcano inside, it is best to learn how to live with it in a healthy way.

Do: Express your concerns

Is there something in your life that is making it hard for you to comprehend, or even feel like things are out of control? Well, unfortunately, you can't control every aspect of your life. However, you can voice your concerns clearly to those you are having issues with. Is it your friends, family, or even people at work? Talk to them and voice what is happening and how it is affecting you. In the long run, voicing your concerns is a lot healthier than bottling up your anger for it to burst later on in a dramatic fashion (I am guilty of this, and have actually been working on it for years).

Don't: Blame others for your emotions

We tend to blame others for how we are feeling, and while we are able to hold the other party accountable for their contribution to the whole scenario, we cannot hold them accountable for how we react. After all, we are the person that is reacting to the situation at hand.

Do: Take a time-out

Separate from each other for about thirty minutes to take a breather. This gives you and the other person to reflect on what is going on and learn how to work past it without escalating the situation worse.

Don't: Just leave

Remember the iconic scene between Rachel and Ross on "Friends" where they were discussing the elephant in the room, i.e. their toxic relationship? Ross left the apartment as soon as Rachel said, "Let's take a break." Instead of taking a break from the conversation and hearing Rachel out about where to go from there, he waltzed right out and infamously made the whole situation worse. Don't do that.

Tell the person that you are having conflicts with that you need to have a breather in order to hash things out in your head, to see if this whole thing is worth affecting your mental and emotional health.