The 11 Different Types Of Theatre People

There are many types of theatre people—here's a little breakdown of the few standouts.

2046
giphy.com

There are many types of theatrical people. A lot of the time, people like to express themselves and show their gifts of talent, which is wonderful. As the theatrical world began to develop, people were starting to be categorized into what kind of theatre people they are, and here's some of them:

1. The ones who say that the Musical “Wicked” is their all time favorite musical.

Now don’t me wrong, no disrespect towards Stephen Schwartz for his score and Winnie Holzman for the book, but usually whenever people say that this is their favorite musical, it’s most likely the only musical they’ve thoroughly sat down and listened to.

2. The ones who sing the same musicals every day.

"Phantom of the Opera" is a masterpiece, and I can personally say “Think of Me” is a go-to warm up song, but hearing it 40 times a day makes me want to claw my eyes out. I’m sure Sarah Brightman would get sick of it too, although Sierra Boggess is everything, so I kind of understand the struggle.

3. The ones who are secretly freaking out that the show is going to fall apart that they're in.

Most of us have that gut feeling. This GIF of Shia Lebouf is a perfect depiction of what many thespians feel on a daily basis.

4. The ones who need to make every moment in their life a musical.

I am a theatre major. I love theatre. I don’t need to recite a monologue from "Hamlet" or belt out “I Dreamed a Dream” or “On My Own” on my way to Tim Horton’s. No one cares, they just want their mac and cheese and want to call it a day.

5. The ones who reclaimed the theater, their home.

This was totally me in high school, and I know for a fact people literally eat, sleep and stay sane in their theaters. My question for you is, did a security guard ever ask you, “Don’t you ever go home?” And did you reply with the cheesy and witty remark, “I am home.”

6. The ones who make out backstage.

Admit it, most of us have been there.

7. The ones who constantly need to eat during rehearsals.

Rehearsals can be exhausting, and you need to energized frequently. No shame sneaking a Milk Dud or two. Your director, stage manager and other cast mates will either be mad that you're nourishing yourself mid-rehearsal, or they envy you for being prepared to have food for the grueling seven-hour rehearsal.

8. The ones who want their actors off book immediately.

"I'd like everyone to be off book, by this Friday!"

Actor: (to themselves) "It's Thursday..."

9. The ones who really get into character.

By no means is it a bad thing to stay in character on stage and off stage in order to capture the essence of the character they are playing. It's just somewhat amusing when you might be playing a British male character and continue to order Taco Bell as that character.

10. The ones who hate theatre, but still do it, because they actually do love it.

Theatre is a big love, hate relationship. Some days, you just want to sit in the audience and see what art you created, and other days, you want to crawl up into a ball, sit in the middle of the stage and cry.

11. These aren’t meant to be taken seriously, and these aren’t supposed to offend anyone.

However, I’m sure many of people can relate to any of these scenarios to a certain degree. I can tell you my first audition ever I sang “On My Own” for the musical "Curtains! The Musical," which a lighthearted comedy. Yes, a lighthearted comedy, and I sang a song about a boy that will never love me, and I end up getting shot in the next scene. So, if any of those scenarios are, or were, you, don’t feel entirely too bad. Something that we all share is the passionate love for theatre “At The End of The Day.” (Pun Intended.)