The Countdown To College

As an incoming freshman, I can only imagine what the next four years of my life have in store for me. Questions with no obvious answer are constantly run through my brain, causing unneeded internal chaos.

What friends will I make?

Will my roommate and I get along?

How well can my best friend from home and I keep in touch while I'm away?

Will I get homesick?

Am I prepared to succeed in my major?

Will all the financial responsibility that I'm taking on be worth it in the end?

I've been doing a lot of searching for the answers to my questions but no matter how many college vlogs I watch, I still need to keep in mind that no two people have the same experience and I will need to wait until things unfold before I know the reality of my situation. I know that at this point, all I can do is be the best version of me that I can be and hope that's enough.

I have, however, been doing all the planning that I can do. And with moving day being less than three weeks away, the mixed emotions of stress and excitement continue to close in on me. I am constantly considering what I will need. At first, I was focusing on dorm supplies. I picked out a color scheme that I wanted to focus on and set out to find what I need. I must have searched at least seven or eight lists of suggested dorm supplies and because of that, my shopping list continued to grow.

After I was content with my haul of dorm supplies, I started stressing over being prepared for my classes, as well as having all my summer course work done. I found myself frantically looking up my professors on ratemyprofessors.com. I tried to find out what textbooks I would need for my first semester classes and have already priced them out. While I still have some summer coursework to complete, a majority of it is done. I know that I got a lot done, but for some reason, the anticipation continues to stress me out.

I know the stress is normal. But it has gotten to the point where I can't go a day without thinking about how fast move in day is approaching. I keep thinking about the step I'm making toward independence. I know that saying goodbye to my friends and family (and especially my pets) will be extremely difficult. But despite all of the stress and worry, I am actually excited.

I am excited that I have the chance to learn about what I love at a school that I love. I am excited to have a hands-on learning experience. I am excited to branch out and make new friends. And most of all, I am excited to see what the future brings.

I am in the middle of the countdown to my future, and I can not wait to see how everything turns out.