The Cost Of Fools: What The Nazis Ruined For Us All

A healthy look at the prizes of the Nazis and why we can't let it happen again.

304

It's pretty obvious with even a passing glance at history that the Nazis and the following Neo-Nazis screwed a great many things up. What isn't readily apparent is how they screwed up history itself. Anything associated with their twisted government after the war was scorned. Aspects of history that had stood for thousands of years were suddenly interpreted as evil and were shunned. Most people think that the Nazis are gone with no possibility of return. I disagree, so I've compiled a list of just a few notable things that they screwed up for everyone and a warning of how it could happen again.

1. The Swastika

The most often referenced symbol that the Nazis hijacked and ruined finds most of its roots in Asia. It stood for centuries as a symbol in many faiths, but it was most notable in Hinduism. It has been used by humanity all over the world since at least the Neolithic period. (When "Far Cry's" most recent game is set, just for reference.) However it came into popularity in Europe shortly after WWI and the fledgling Nazi Party adopted it. It was then used by Adolf Hitler to create the formal Nazi-German flag that has stigmatized the image in western culture.

2. Norse and Germanic Runes

It is no surprise that the Nazis looked into these runes as symbols for their new Reich. The runes themselves were used peacefully(-ish?) in religion for hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the Nazis came along. They have a rich mythological history in the Norse pantheon involving Odin sacrificing himself to attain the runes. Modern Asatru and Pagans use them, but there is a stigma towards them, particularly in the west. Norse myth gave us this:

However, the Nazis used them as symbols for many things, most notably their Waffen Schutzstaffel, more commonly called the SS. Many SS officers faced war crime charges during the post-war Nuremberg Trials and the organization carries an extremely negative connotation all over the world (except for maybe in Argentina). The SS used runes rather boldly in their insignia, so now the runes are associated with the Nazis. This has resulted in some misunderstandings with modern Neo-Pagans, such as Wiccans and Asatru. The Nazis and Neo-Nazis often use the Norse Vikings as an example to promote white supremacy, which is utterly asinine when you consider how they raided other whites and traded peacefully with the Turks. (Does anyone remember the Varangian Guard?)

3. Arminius and the Battle of Teutoburg Forest

The Romans attempted to expand their nation into Germania, just as they had done with a great many other places. Arminius, a Germanic Native, went through the ranks of the Roman military and became a trusted officer. After the Roman rule of his people became too harsh, he took action. He lured the Roman commander Varus into a trap in Teutoburg Forest. The barbarian tribes dealt the Romans one of the most severe defeats in their entire history. An entire three legions were utterly destroyed. The emperor reportedly wept, asking Varus to return his legions. Naturally, the Nazis twisted this to suit their nationalist goals, particularly with it being a supposed example of their "master race." It's rather ironic considering that they allied with the descendants of Rome.

4. Friedrich Nietzsche

Other than having possibly the greatest mustache in the history of man, Nietzsche's accomplishments were mostly in philosophy and theology. They're so broad, in fact, that I will not go into them. To do so properly, one would need a minimum volume of 12 articles. Regardless of the validity of doing so, the Nazis twisted a concept of his, the "Ubermensch," to support their own racist eugenic goals. His saving grace is that his accomplishments are far too broad to sweep under the rug like most things that were associated with the Nazis. The connection is set, though. Some today still refer to him as Hitler's favorite philosopher.

Humor Bonus: The Short Mustache

After being worn by Adolf Hitler, the short mustache has fallen out of use. That's right, the Nazis even ruined things as trivial as facial hair. It is so completely associated with Hitler, that I couldn't watch a Charlie Chaplin film in the library without someone asking why I was watching Hitler put on makeup. It's mind boggling.

On a more serious note, the Nazis ruined more things than I could ever type and even more beyond those that history is unaware of. I have purposefully written this in plain language so that anyone can understand it and I included pictures to hold interest. Most people think that the Nazis and their ideas can never rise again. However, recently, the alarming rise of resurgent Neo-Nazis and record sales of Mein Kampf in Germany alone say quite differently. Why people want to believe in ideas that almost all of mankind stood together to destroy is beyond me. It might not even be likely that they could rise again, but a healthy look at the cost of fools is a good thing. These ideas cannot be allowed to rise again. They should be taught, but only so that we do not forget the face of a great enemy of humanity.