To The College Student Stressing Over Declaring A Major

You Will Figure It Out

20
Katalina Castro

As a college freshman, I have been asked a multitude of questions surrounding college life. However, a question that every college student will never stray away from is the dreaded "what is your major?". Luckily, whenever I am asked this question I am able to say that I am majoring in Early Childhood Studies and minoring in Art with an emphasis in Photography. I am usually met with a response like "wow! You are lucky you have everything figured out!". However, at one point I was freaking out because everyone was making it seem like you have to know what you want to major in. It is understandable if you don't know what you want to do; you just need to remember these things:

1. Freaking Out is Okay

I remember freaking out during my Junior Year of High School because people were asking me what I wanted to be when I grew up. At that point, I had no clue what school I wanted to attend, so thinking about what career I wanted to pursue was a daunting task. Especially when people make you feel guilty for not knowing what you want to do.

2. Wanting to Make Money

Even if you don't know what to major in, you do know that you want to be "rich". No matter what, you will try to think of every major that will ensure that lavish lifestyle that you have envisioned in your head. It is important to remember that money is not everything. Since I want to be a teacher, it is fair to assume money is not everything to me. Personally, I think it is more important to love what you do because you will do your best work, and if you are lucky, you will enjoy going to work everyday.

3. It Is Your Decision, Nobody Else's

People will try to influence your decision on what major to choose. It is important to realize that you are the one that is going to be impacted the most with this decision. Sure, your parents may be the ones paying your college tuition, so you think you should pick what they want you to do. However, you are the one who has to work in that career everyday. Would you rather do something you love everyday, or be miserable driving to work? You will constantly think about "what if I went with the major I wanted?".

4. Everyone Feels The Exact Same Way As You

It may seem like everyone has their life planned out, but most people don't.There are a ton of students who are stuck in the exact same place as you. Worrying about what major to choose, and where that major will lead them later in life. You aren't the only one who is unsure of what to do.

5. You Will Figure It Out

The most important thing to remember is you will figure it out. It doesn't matter if you change majors five times, or never change your major. Take all of the time that you need to figure it out. Do not settle for something that you know you won't be happy with. As long as you are happy with the decision that you have made, nothing else matters. No matter what path you end up choosing to go down, you will end up where you are meant to be.