Defining The College Life

Defining The College Life

"The college life" and how seniors in high school may view it.

300
Defining The College Life

"What is college?" others may ask.

There are many answers to this one question, but to me, college is higher education that can predict your future and field you may land in. Seniors in high school may see "the college life" as a way to party on multiple occasions, talk to multiple girls/guys, and do all the assignments they have due the next day. I had the mindset that friends are easily made at college, and I was wrong. If you don't go out your way to make friends the first day of college as a freshman, it will only get harder and harder as time goes on, especially if you have a shy personality. I suggest that new freshmen coming in the fall 2016 semester to make friends right away and have similar interests with that person. That's one mistake I made and something I regret every single day. This may seem awkward to go up to random people and engage in a conversation with them, but you'll realize that in college it's a normal thing because socializing is on a whole other level.

Freshmen also come into college with the mindset of doing homework the day before it's due or studying a day before the test. In college, tests are much more complex, and reading/studying is a necessity if you want that grade that you're really aiming for. In high school, students will cheat on test and do homework a day before receiving an 80 as their grade, jumping for joy. As a freshman, students may not know you need to maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA to stay in the college. Those standards may be easy, but you can easily slip, and next thing you know, you'll be packing your bags back home to a college nearby your home. The freedom can get to college students and make them slack on their work and necessities to stay in college. Unlawful actions can kick a student out in college, and academic probation can kick a student out.

"The college life" is an overly emphasized saying that partying everyday and drinking frequently can still make you average a better grade. But in reality, without that hard work, perseverance, and studying for each class, that person's life may just be a living hell. Don't get me wrong, partying every weekend isn't something to be ashamed about, but drink responsibly, and remember that school always come first.

The cycle will be Assignments --> Studying --> Partying.

No one to tell you what to do so freedom is on a whole other level, but so is independence making self-discipline a necessity. Everyone has an academic advisor to go to with problems in their schedules and other problems they may be facing academically, but other than that, college is done alone and independently rather than in high school working in groups 70 percent of the time during class or on projects.

"The college life": Don't be fooled by it and start off with the college mindset as soon as you set foot in college. Throw away that high school mindset. You can either be receiving a 3.5 GPA or academic probation the next semester—choose wisely.