The Cold Hard Truth

The Cold Hard Truth

Be a good person, but be assertive and unwavering when it's required. Otherwise, life will steamroll you the **** over.

20
The Cold Hard Truth
Culture Club

I've always abided, and always will, by the "golden rule" to treat others the way you wanted to be treated. However, looking back I've learned to realize that while it is an ideal and virtuous principle to follow, being nice as well as having and showing respect has its limit. I am by no way, shape, or form encouraging my readers to go out and aim to treat people unkindly, cruelly, and like garbage. What I am trying to preach, on the other hand, is that at times people will be obligated to sacrifice kindness, their respect, and (unfortunately but necessary) their beliefs for others in order to be successful. Otherwise, life will steamroll you the **** over.

For example, if a company is failing and needs more effective and competent employees, a manager of a company will have to terminate some of his/her subordinates despite not wanting to do so. It can be viewed as cruel and somewhat harsh as well as a lack of prudence on the manager's part, but that's just one of aspects and responsibilities of wielding seniority and/or power: making the cut-throat decisions that are intended to be beneficial to business at the expense of the feelings and situations of individuals.

In parallel, coaches of serious athletic teams will have to cut players if they simply do not have the skill or capacity to compete at a high level. Personally, I lament on this aspect of sports, but it's necessary for those who seek victory and optimum results. Icons such as Steve Jobs, Kevin O'Leary, and Mark Cuban have certainly had to embrace their ruthless sides and darkness of hearts in order to succeed in business. Call this an assumption, but I'm pretty sure they didn't rise to the top of their industries by caring too much about the emotions and personal lives of their colleagues and subordinates.

Steve Jobs

A more personal and relatable example pertaining to my soccer career goes as follows: at age 15, I was member of the Manalapan Metrostars, a club team out of New Jersey that finished in the top 3 of our respective divisions throughout Monmouth and Ocean counties in the Fall and Spring seasons. I loved playing for Manalapan, and my teammates and I grew so close in the 1 year I was on the team. Even though I pledged my loyalty, a trait that I am vehement about to the very core, to the club upon joining them in 2009, I found myself unsatisfied with the level we were playing at after a year had passed. I had no doubt that my teammates did everything to better themselves over the course of their careers, and while they were competitive and I was a regular starter and goalscorer, I yearned for something greater. My passion for the game and drive to play at the highest level led me to betray my club team, and the strong relationships I had with my teammates immediately turned sour. While I do miss playing for the Manalapan Metrostars and the friends I once had, I know for a fact that I would not have been able to elevate my prowess, level of play, strength, physicality, and skill had I chose to remain with them. Axiomatically, I would not have been able to play all over the country, compete against semi-professional and low level professional teams in the UK, play at the NCAA Division III level, or develop the character and decency I possess today. Rosemont College would not be my home away from home, and I would not have established the strong and meaningful personal, athletic, and business connections with the people I do today. It was a difficult decision to quit Manalapan, and it was traitorous and selfish of me to do so after immediately after committing to them for another year, but in order to become the best soccer player and athlete I could possibly be, I knew I couldn't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. It's a facet of not just soccer, but life as a whole.

Roy Keane

I used to hate players such as Roy Keane, Joey Barton, and Képler Laveran Lima Ferreira (aka Pepe), as I always thought they were too-hotheaded and reckless in the treatment of their teammates and opposing players . If that wasn't enough, I still get shivers when I read of their past incidents: Keane ending Alfe Inge Halland's career, Barton's melee with 3 Manchester City players on the final day of the 2011-2012 season, and Pepe fouling and assaulting Casquero on the ground in 2009.

However, what I have grown to admire about Roy Keane, Joey Barton, and Pepe: while I do condone the previously stated incidents and a plethora of their past antics, and would by no means ever come close to emulating their actions, I strive to emulate their characteristics: confidence and competitive fires unlike others, intense and unbridled passion, ferocity, and fervent, and being able to maintain their love for their craft while playing to win and only win. Never for a moment did any of these people let others walk all over them or give up on their hopes and dreams because they were told they weren't good enough. The aforementioned traits of these players, along with legendary icons such as, but not limited to, Sir Alex Ferguson, Kevin O'Leary, and Steve Jobs, are what I want and need in myself in order to make some of my dreams come true and be successful in sport and business.

Sir Alex Ferguson

What I want my readers to understand that while there is nothing wrong with desiring a better life, imagining what an ideal world should be like, or having dreams, idealism is ultimately countered by reality. There are times where the best options are to be pragmatic and decisive. Moreover, characteristics such as loyalty, respect, prudence, and other righteous qualities and moralities, are wonderful to have as human beings. After all, I base my conduct and pride myself as a person through these traits. However, please accept that such traits have limits, and while it is a sad truth, you will have to give in to your "dark side" in order to be survive some of the aspects life unleashes in order to be successful and live life to the fullest.

Personally, I've finally accepted that my newfound passion and drive to "beast mode the living daylights out of life" has an unrelenting hunger, and while I do not desire nor intend to make enemies, crush a few souls, break a few hearts, or lose a few friends, I will have to accept them as results if I want to be the best I can possibly be on all fronts. Although I have, and will continue, to put others before me, it's my life that I'm living in the end. I could honestly cover this topic in 4-5 more articles, but the subject matter is food for thought. It's something that cannot be taught, but only learned. It takes a moment of pure clarity when one matures begins to see life from different perspectives.

Once again, I reiterate the following: I am not telling people to go out and treat others with cruelty, nor am I encouraging violence in any aspect of our lives. To everyone out there, be a good person, but know that different situations call for a certain method of thought and action. If you're too nice or show too much respect, life will steamroll you the **** over.