The Cheap Girl's Guide To Makeup

The Cheap Girl's Guide To Makeup

My list of top drugstore makeup finds!

30
The Cheap Girl's Guide To Makeup
WordPress

Let me preface this by saying two things: I am really bad at being a girly girl, and I am cheap. Recently, I’ve taken to paying more attention to my makeup and its application. Like, before this year, I barely used eyeliner and I had no clue what a “crease cut” was (tbh, I still don’t know really.) I don’t know how to do a cat-eye and I can actually rarely even draw a straight line on my eyelid, let alone get them to match. I’ve always been a little skeptical of trying new foundations, mostly because I’m bad at matching them to my skin tone and I’m scared to look orange or too dark, but I’m coming out of my shell with that. When you don’t know what you’re doing and you want to practice new techniques, you don’t want to spend a ton of money on makeup (at least, I don’t). Here are my top cheap-but-still-great makeup products:

1. No7 Airbrush Away Foundation

I’ve only recently started taking chances with drop foundations because I didn’t think they would offer enough coverage for my sometimes oily skin and sweaty face. I tried a few, though, and boy was I wrong! Out of the couple that I’ve tried, No7 is the cheapest one that I’ve found that doesn’t make me break out. Even with just a light layer, it offers enough coverage and stays well enough that I don’t have to reapply, even if I put it on in the morning and want to wear it out that night. I bought mine at Ulta.

2. e.l.f. HD Powder

I’m not huge on powders; I’ve always thought that they make your face look cakey and poorly colored, but I’m actually coming around and I love their sheer powder. It’s light enough to wear every day and it doesn’t make you look too washed out. I got mine at Target for like $6.

3. L’Oreal True Match LUMI

I always thought highlight looked a little ridiculous on people, especially when it was overdone. But I thought I’d give L’Oreal’s liquid glow illuminator a try… and I LOVED it. Literally, loved it. I’ve tried others after I bought the L’Oreal one, but they made my face feel sticky and they kind of peeled off, so I stick to the old faithful. I got mine at Rite Aid like, two years ago, so you can probably get it at any drugstore or major chain like Wal-Mart or Target.

4. NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray

I never used a setting spray before like, a week ago, but I love this stuff. Granted, I’m not a professional at these, but my face sweats like a pig. It held my makeup during the most humid 90 degree day that I’ve spent outside, even while I was jumping around and dancing at a Sam Hunt concert. Literally, my regular face makeup lasted all the way until the next morning (because I fell asleep with it on, oops.) I grabbed this one from an end cap that I happened to be passing at Target, and it was a great spur of the moment purchase.

5. NYX HD Studio Concealer

I am not a morning person, and that definitely shows when I first wake up with bags under my eyes. Concealer has become a necessity since I started actually getting dressed for work and trying to look like a human (as opposed to rolling into my nanny job looking like a zombie with last night’s makeup still plastered to my eyelids.) I like the wand on this one as opposed to one that you have to stick a makeup brush or your finger into and rub under your eyes, and it doesn’t feel too thick. Plus, it helps cover blemishes without smothering them so that they get worse. I got this from Ulta, I think, but I also saw it at Target!

6. Physicians Formula Eye Booster Instant Lash Extension Kit

Okay, I know that’s a lot to remember, but just look for the red and silver mascara tube with a smaller silver and red tube with the “extensions.” Honestly, I don’t need the extensions because the mascara is that good, but when I want a super dramatic look, I put a coat of the extensions on, too. They’re like fibers that make your lashes look so, so long, but just be careful that you don’t spill them everywhere or drop them into your eyes. I got mine at Rite Aid awhile ago but haven’t used it until recently, and I love it. I use the regular mascara as my everyday mascara and use the extensions on weekends or for events.

7. L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation

Again, I’m leery about trying foundations, but this one is actually super good, and offers a lot of coverage! It’s a little heavier, so I don’t wear it every day, but it could definitely be worn as an everyday foundation if you wanted! It lasts a long time (it boasts 24 hours, but I’m not sure because I always wash this one off; it gets too sticky for me.) But instead of spending a lot on pricier foundations, I’d rather use this, which offers similar coverage.

8. Wet n Wild Coverall Correcting Palette

I’ve had this palette for like, two years (which is probably gross), and I love it. Like, a lot. I love the highlighter (it’s not too shiny) and the neutralizer (it covers my pimples super well), and I use the concealer occasionally when I want a heavier coverage on the bags under my eyes. I haven’t had too much experience with the normalizer, but when I have, it’s done its job. I was always super weird about using green or purple makeup on my face, but it blends easily and always looks good. I got this at Rite Aid, but I’m sure it’s available anywhere.

9. Covergirl’s Easy Breezy Brow Shape and Define

I don’t care about eyebrows all that much; I never waxed or plucked mine really, but I’ve started shaping them and when I feel like having a more defined brow, I use this. It’s like a mascara, but for your brows. Simply brush it on your brows in an upward motion, then smooth them down. Voila! Fuller, defined eyebrows!

10. Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation

When I don’t want to use my drop foundation, I use this as a daily foundation. It can get a little sticky, but I only use a little bit and it does the trick! I usually get oily on my nose, so I add a little finishing powder to my nose to avoid shine, but other than that, I have no issues!

I’m still learning, and I still get super frustrated when my eyeliner isn’t even or when my left eyelashes look 100% better than my right ones, but I’m actually starting to like makeup? Since I’m willing to try anything and I’m willing to learn, drop your favorite makeup products and tips in the comments!