The Changing Perception Of Tattoos

The Changing Perception Of Tattoos

From Jailbirds To Walking Canvases, Tattoos Are Changing The Way Our Society Looks

1614
The Changing Perception Of Tattoos
Rebloggy

Let's get one thing straight: we've all been told at some point in our life not to judge a book by its cover. This is a pretty broad statement, so let's break it down: skin color, religion, accent, language, clothing, makeup, wealth, hobbies, etc. So why are tattoos being treated so differently in today's society?

Not too long ago, tattoos were seen very differently. They were seen as a label. You've done something bad to earn those tattoos. You've been mixed up with the wrong crowd. Tattoos were synonymous for bad news. But as our younger generation leans toward more liberal tendencies, tattoos became more popular.

As the generational gap closes, employers are changing policies regarding tattoos. Today, it's likely that you know of someone with a tattoo, and chances are they know someone with a tattoo.

Tattoos are becoming more and more socially acceptable among younger generations, they may even be considered cool. Who would have thought that tattoos don't automatically mean you're a criminal?! On social medias tattoos are becoming incredibly popular. "Cool" celebrities often have one or multiple visible tattoos. Justin Bieber himself is known for his tattoos. There are even news stories when he gets a new one. There are countless Instagram accounts based around showcasing different styles of tattoos, demonstrating the transformation from a jailbird hobby to an art style.

Sure, there are bad tattoos--you know the ones, the third graders doodles on that guy's shoulder in the convenience store. But even those belong to someone. That is someone's work, and it belongs to the person wearing it. And there are incredible tattoos. Pieces that could be sold for thousands of dollars if they had been painted or sketched.

Placement is certainly impactful to how tattoos are perceived. Of course, if a man has a big slice of pizza tattooed on his neck you may be inclined to avoid any sort of conversation with him, but there lies the problem. This pizza tattoo-having fella may have some of the best ideas in the world, but because of this cheesy work of art placed elegantly on his neck, we may never know.