The Book Clubbing Club: Dear Edward

The Book Clubbing Club: Dear Edward

Heartfelt novel about 12 year old boy who survives plane crash, and how he recovers

14
The Book Clubbing Club: Dear Edward

Eddie was a normal 12 year old boy, until the crash. This single pivotal moment forever changes who he is, and who he will become. Eddie had a brother, but Edward only has the memory of one. Eddie had a family, but Edward only has fragmented pieces. Before and after the crash are like two different lifetimes, two different people.

The book "Dear Edward" by Ann Napolitano encompasses how a single moment can change your life forever. The dual story lines allow the reader to just almost forget about the crash, before it resurfaces in real time. Just as one thing seems to be getting better, another goes to shit. As if growing up isn't hard enough already.

Edward faces countless struggles, from the crash, to his aunt and uncle, to school. But there is a golden thread connecting all of these painful miserable affairs. Friendship. Edward proves that one good friend is all you need to feel loved and accepted. Accepting each other through periods of isolation, hardship and family turmoil creates a comfortable place to grow and recover. The protective bubble between two close friends has more power than all the therapy and medicine in the world.

"Dear Edward" is a rich narrative that emphasizes life lessons as they are learned from a childs perspective, insight that could help us all. Move this novel to the top of your must read list, it is truly a game changer.

Amanda's critique: the epilogue gives and unrealistic sense of closure. The story is far from over.