The Bold Type

10 Ways 'The Bold Type' Does, In Fact, Make Me Feel Bold

A show about female empowerment? Sign me up!

Mau
Mau
36

“The Bold Type" premiered in summer 2017 and became one of the most influential shows that I have ever seen. It centers around three best friends—Jane, Kat, and Sutton—who work at the fictional Scarlet Magazine in New York City. It shows the highs and lows of working entry-level jobs at the most prestigious magazine, and how they navigate through their personal lives. They are badass, carefree, and take the world by storm. I see pieces of each character within me, and they all teach me important lessons about adulthood, womanhood, feminism, and many other things!

1. Women supporting women

"We don't tear each other down, not as women and definitely not as women of 'Scarlet.'" This quote will always be memorable to me because it brings to light how society continues to degrade women. Even worse, how women continue to bring one another down. In all honesty, I have never seen a friendship like Kat, Jane, and Sutton's. May I say they have their heart-to-heart moments in a closet? Depicting women as empowered and supporting one another is refreshing to see on TV.

2. Headstrong characters

Fight

Jane, Kat, and Sutton each have their own pursuits and all strive for success. In the pilot episode, Jane was promoted to become a writer, Kat became the director for Scarlet's social media platforms, and Sutton ended up as a fashion assistant. No matter the risk, these girls will do anything to make a name of themselves in the work industry. I aspire to do the same and be ready to work hard for what I want in life.

3. Fierce and poised leadership

leader

That sums up Jacqueline Carlyle, the editor-in-chief of Scarlet magazine. She is the type of female boss that should be prominent in movies and TV shows. She connects with her employees, gets the job done, and exhibits confidence in herself and the magazine. Though underestimated by the male-dominated Board of Directors, she does not let any bring her down. Jacqueline is the definition of slay. All I am saying is whenever she comes on screen, I feel liberated.

4. It spreads awareness.

From sexual assault to discrimination, "The Bold Type" tackles many social issues that continue to affect our society each day. And it comes to light in different characters' story arcs, such as Adena who faces discrimination due to the fact she is a Muslim lesbian in America. I have become more mindful and think to myself, "how can I take part in ending these issues?"

5. Communication is key.

With any type of relationship, communicating is a necessity. Though it may be tough for the ladies of 'The Bold Type', they end up communicating to resolve any issue.

6. Self-acceptance takes center stage. 

All of her life, Kat has struggled to find her true identity because she is mixed-raced. It was not until she was offered the job as the social media department head to claim her racial identity. This act of self-acceptance and discovering your own identity is very enlightening to see. And it gives me courage to love myself and never deny all that I can offer to the world.

7. I've learned to never settle for less.

Nothing is ever easy in life. Risks must be taken and sacrifices should be made in order to live the dream. Even when Sutton chooses her career over her love life, that is an example of someone who is willing to play the long game to finally make it.

8. It is okay to be vulnerable.

While the show depicts strong female characters, it does not shy away from their emotional moments. Struggling and feeling down may seem like terrible things, but it gives balance to a well-rounded individual. We need to go through the bad days to appreciate the good days even more.

9. The endless adventures show me to live life to the fullest. 

Everytime I watch an episode, I just think "Wow, they are living their best lives!" The many things that these characters do with one another shows that we all must just do something to spice up our day. If it is dancing in the office late at night with your coworkers while there is a lockdown, so be it!

10. Do not bottle anything up, just scream about it!

If I ever need to get anything out of my chest, this trio told me to just let it all out. Good news or bad news, let the world know how I feel. It is absolutely therapeutic.

"The Bold Type" has taught me lessons that prepares me to enter my 20s and the workforce. There are hierarchies and unfortunate setbacks, but through confidence and hard work, women can rise up the ranks as well. We must be strong. We must have our voices heard. We must be fearless.

And finally, be bold. And that is what I shall be.