The Blessing Of Having A Sibling Much Younger Than You

Having a sibling 11 years younger, you would think we wouldn't be very close. Well you thought wrong.

29
Alyssa Ferington

More than a few times, I've gotten asked, "What is it like to have a sibling so much younger than you?" Time and time again, I answer with, "wonderful."

Having a sibling so much younger than you, is really an amazing thing. It gives you the opportunity to see things that usually only parents get to experience. Being of an older, more developed age where you can remember and understand things is what helps create this amazing journey. I was a little over 11 years old when my sister Mikayla was born. I was getting ready to enter the 6th grade, and so many different changes were happening in my life. Entering middle school is a rough transition for a lot of kids, myself included; but I had this adorable little peanut waiting for me at home that never failed to turn my bad days into good ones.

Being in a maturing age myself at the time, I began seeing life in a different view, and grasping a bigger and better understanding of the world and all it had to offer. Days would pass, and I would realize how short life actually was. My baby sister was growing like a weed. Before I knew it, this 6lb 1oz angel was sitting up by herself, and eventually walking and talking up a storm! These are the types of things that are so major and exciting to parents, and I never understood what the big deal was.

"Oh your baby can hold their own bottle? Well, I can pack my own lunch! What do you think of that?"

As I was maturing out of childhood and into a teenager, things started affecting me more. I had to make my own friends, get involved in clubs, and take on more difficult homework. I started to experience more stress just like all the other kids my age, but I also went home every day to something that my friends didn't get the privilege of experiencing. Mikayla was growing up faster and faster each day. That's something that parents always say and brag about, but as the older sibling, it made my maturing even more special. I was able to watch her transform from this innocent baby girl, into a terrifying monster screaming, "Sissy!!" and chasing me with markers. It was great.

"This little life that couldn't fend for herself a year ago is now chasing the dog around the house and dancing to lady gaga. How did this happen so quick?"

Mikayla is now 8 years old and has continued to become my best friend over these past 8 years. Children really do see the world so much differently, whether their lack of understanding the negative parts of the world are reasons for this, that is what makes all the difference. She is this crazy, hilarious, not afraid of anything (except maybe the monkey bars), makeup-loving, hooligan. She has made me more laid back and has given me the lenses to see the beauty in life, and I am beyond thankful for her each and every day.

Having a sibling so much younger than me has given me the opportunity and experience to see how short life is, and how amazing human nature is. Until you have a child, or are able to experience life with one so much younger than you, you don't realize how fascinating the world is, and all that is created. I have been able to watch this little girl grow from birth and develop a personality that is still – to this day – filled with laughter, jokes, and happiness, and I have been able to watch her learn and acquire new skills while growing into a happy, healthy beautiful young lady – and it has been my greatest gift.

So, thank you Mikayla, for continuing to teach me how to have fun, and allowing me to see life through a different lens. Even if that lens is 3 feet shorter, and filled to the brim with every color of the rainbow. I love you stinky feet.