The Best Way To Enjoy The Outdoors in NOLA

The Fly is an outdoorsy place for non-outdoorsy people.

8
Elana Israeli

Lets be real, no one in this day and age has any interest in being outside. Some of this is due to the increase in television networks and shows, while some of this can be accredited to laziness. I, for one, am not an "outdoorsy" type of person. In fact, I am basically afraid or repulsed by most outdoorsy type of things (one of them being butterflies -- yes, I am not kidding). Being in NOLA I knew I was going to have to get over my laziness and fear of living creatures (specifically bugs), and appreciate everything that NOLA has to offer. One of the most exciting things that we, Tulane students, do, is go to the Fly on Friday afternoons. The Fly is a large grassy pavilion that overlooks the Mississippi River. It has a fantastic ambiance and view, and is completely packed with students. We go there on Fridays with friends, lay out towels and blankets, and hang out while the sunset rolls in. It is one of my favorite places that I have ever been, and definitely my favorite place here, in NOLA.

The Fly is the perfect place to end a week and start a weekend. It serves as a transitional location, ending a week of hard work and studying and starting a weekend of fun and adventure. The first time I went to the Fly I had no idea what to expect: a park? A bar? A club? A soccer field? I was completely blindsided. To my surprise, I fell in love with the outdoorsy, grassy field that is now my Friday afternoon hangout spot. It the perfect place to hang out, relax, and bond with friends and other Tulane students! If you are ever in NOLA and near the Tulane campus on a Friday afternoon, I highly recommend checking out this incredible place!