The Best Thanksgiving Recipes

The Best Thanksgiving Recipes

A comprehensive guide to making this Thanksgiving the yummiest one yet.

9
The Best Thanksgiving Recipes
Safreedom.org

Everybody's Thanksgiving is different. Some celebrate with only a few family members while other's get-togethers resemble the Macy's parade. No matter how many relatives are sitting around your table, one thing is for certain: that table is stuffed with delicious homemade holiday dishes. There are a few staple dishes that can be found at every dinner and here are the best ways to prepare them.

Turkey

The staple of Thanksgiving. A Thanksgiving without turkey is like Grey's Anatomy without Derek Shepherd: not worth my time.

Everything you need:

- Turkey lifter

- Paper towels

- Basting brush

- Meat thermometer

- Bleach

- Garbage bags

- Thawed turkey

- Onion

- Head of garlic

- Salt and pepper

- Poultry seasoning

1. Unhook the legs from the skin wrap and remove the neck and bagged giblets.

2. Rinse inside and out with cold water and let it drain completely to get all the gross juices out of there.

3. Use your paper towels to soak up all the juices on the inside and out. You'll want it to be completely dry.

4. Stuff your turkey with the onion (cut in halves) and the head of garlic.

5. Go in between the skin and the meat and rub with butter, garlic and seasoning. You can get fancy here and add different spices.

6. Then season the skin with salt, pepper and seasoning.

7. Wrap the legs back up in the skin wrap or with twine.

8. Once your oven is preheated to 325, simply throw the turkey in!

9. Follow these roasting times depending on your turkey's weight. If you wish to baste the turkey, take it out halfway through the suggested time, baste and return it to the oven.

And that's it! Let it set for about a half an hour to let it soak up all the juices then carve it up!

Stuffing

Whether you're stuffing your turkey with it or using it as a side dish, stuffing is another necessary component of a successful Thanksgiving.

Everything you need:

- 8 slices of bread

- 6 T. butter

- 1/4 cup chopped onion

- 1/4 cup chopped celery

- 3/4 cup chicken broth

- 1/4 t. dried crushed thyme

- 1/4 t. ground sage

- 1/4 t. salt

- 1/4 t. pepper

1. Toast and butter the bread then cut the toast into cubes.

2. Cook the onion and celery in the broth for 5 minutes in a covered saucepan.

3. Stir in seasonings and combine with toast cubes and toss lightly.

4 (optional). For a moist stuffing, add another 1/4 cup of broth.

Mashed potatoes

These are't just any mashed potatoes, these are the smoothest, creamiest garlic mashed potatoes you'll ever taste. Add some bacon bits or cheese and these could be a main dish by themselves.

Everything you need:

- 10 medium Russet potatoes

- 1/4 cup unsalted butter

- 8 ounces cream cheese

- 3 cloves of minced garlic

- Milk or cream

- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

- Salt and pepper, to taste

1. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the peeled, chopped potatoes until tender (about 15 minutes)

2. Drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the butter, cream cheese and garlic.

3. Mash with a potato masher until desired consistency, adding milk or cream as needed. Stir in the parsley and salt and pepper.

Deviled eggs

Deviled eggs are always a topic of tension at my family's holiday meals. My grandma believes that eggs should be reserved for Christmas, whereas I say "why discriminate??" Deviled eggs are delicious and should be included in every holiday meal. #MakeThanksgivingGreatAgain and make me some eggs!!

Everything you need:

- 6 hard boiled eggs

- 1/4 cup mayonnaise

- 1 tsp yellow mustard

- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar

- salt and pepper

- Paprika

1. Hard boil, cool and peel eggs.

2. Cut eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolks.

3. Mash the yolks and mix with mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix with a fork until smooth and creamy.

4. Spoon mixture back into the egg and sprinkle with paprika for garnish.

Baked beans

This is a family recipe that my great grandmother would make for every family meal and when she would, the rest of the meal became irrelevant; they were so good! Since she died, my grandma has been trying to make them just like she would and gets close every year, but it's just not quite the same. Hopefully they work out for you.

Everything you need:

- 1 1/2 pounds Northern beans

- 1 T mustard

- 1 T salt

- 4 T molasses

- 2 cups sugar

- 6 T bacon grease

- 1 cup boiling water

1. Soak the beans in warm water overnight.

2. Boil for two minutes then cover and let stand for 1 hour. If the beans still aren't soft, heat on low until almost soft.

3. Drain well and put in casserole dish. Cover with the rest of the ingredients and bake at 325 for 3-4 hours.

4. Stir frequently and add more water if needed. Be careful not to overcook.

Scalloped Corn

My favorite dish of all time. I'm a strong supporter of corn bread and corn separately so the combination of the two = a dream.

Everything you need:

- 2 eggs, slightly beaten

- 1 (8.5 oz.) package of corn muffin mix

- 1 (16.5 oz.) can cream style corn

- 1 (16.5 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained

- 1 cup sour cream

- 1/2 cup melted butter

- 1/3 cup chopped onion

1. Combine all ingredients, mixing well.

2. Put in buttered 3 quart casserole.

3. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Green bean casserole

Probably the easiest dish out of all of these but also full of flavor.

Everything you need:

- 2 cans green beans

- 1 can area of mushroom soup

- 6 oz. french fried onions

- 2/3 cup whole milk

- Salt and pepper

- Garlic powder

- Onion powder

1. Combine green beans, soup and milk.

2. Sprinkle in a good helping of salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and stir.

3. Mix in 3 oz. of french fried onions.

4. Cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

5. Top with the remaining french fried onions and bake until golden brown.

6. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Snicker salad

Is this a side? Is this a dessert? Who cares? I'm probably going to eat the whole bowl in one sitting whether it's during dinner or after.

Everything you need:

- 1 (3.4 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding

- 1 cup milk

- 1 thawed (1 oz.) container frozen whipped topping

- 5 apples chopped

- 5 chopped full sized Snickers bars

- 1/2 cup halved grapes

1. Combine the pudding mix and milk in a large bowl then fold in the whipped topping.

2. Add in the apples, Snickers and grapes and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Pecan pie

If you are brave enough to attempt to make your own pies instead of stopping by Target and picking up a few like the rest of us, these recipes are sure to put the finishing touches on your perfect dinner.

Everything you need:

- Pie crust

- 2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans

- 3 large eggs

- 1 cup dark corn syrup

- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar

- 1 1/2 t pure vanilla extract

- 1/4 cup melted, unsalted butter

- 1/2 t salt

- 1/2 t ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350, making sure the oven rack is in the lower third position.

2. Roll out the pie crust and place in a 9x2 inch pie dish.

3. Spread pecans evenly in the pie crust and set aside.

4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, melted butter, salt and cinnamon together. Pour mixture evenly over pecans.

5. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.

6. Cool completely before serving.

Pumpkin pie

Everything you need:

- Pie crust

- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin

- 2/3 cup sugar

- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

- 3 slightly beaten eggs

- 1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk

- 1/2 cup milk

1. Place pie crust in pan.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.

3. Add eggs and beat lightly until combined.

4. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and milk; mix well.

5. Pour mixture into the pie crust.

6. Cover edge of the pie with foil and bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 25 minutes.

7. Cool and refrigerate before serving.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!