19 Songs That Compose The Ultimate Christmas Playlist

I won't be done listening on the 26th.

54

If you’re anything like me, you’ve been listening to Christmas music since late August (much to the chagrin of your road trip passengers and Facebook friends), and I won’t be ready to stop listening as soon as December 26th. My annual Christmas playlist is usually way too long, though, and I have to shorten it to twenty or so of my favorites. In case you’re still looking for an arrangement, I’ve named my top picks.

1. River (Sarah McLaughlin)

Let’s get the sad one out of the way. I hate sad Christmas songs, but I love “River.” It’s bittersweet and beautiful, just like Sarah McLaughlin’s voice, and the tune is an enchanting elegy for those who are unable to experience the joy of the season.

2. Tinseltown (SHeDAISY)

A bit of a modern pick-me-up (after all those sad Christmas songs, ugh), SHeDAISY’s “Tinseltown” is, as far as I’m aware, pretty obscure and, in proper proportion to its obscurity, criminally underrappreciated. The song is very atmospheric, even to the point that you can hear the tinkering of the toys.

3. Heat Miser (Thousand Foot Krutch)

One of the great gifts from the modern Christmas-rock album Happy Christmas Volume 5, TFK’s “Heat Miser” is a hardcore taking on a heartwarming (get it?) Christmas movie classic that would also be at home in the establishing shot of a Fast and Furious film. It doesn’t quite get you in the Christmas spirit, but it definitely gets you pumped up.

4. It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas (Michael Buble)

You knew there had to be some Michael Buble on this list. I had to narrow it down to my top two favorites, but this one owns its spot. Some of Buble’s original work is a bit uppity for me, but this traditional tune is just the kind of slow, airy song that suits his voice. Did I mention his dreamy voice? It goes down better than eggnog.

5. Wonderful Christmastime (Paul McCartney)

Okay, it gets trippy toward the end. But it’s so nostalgic, and I feel safe when I listen to it. I feel snowed in - the good kind of snowed in.

6. Mister Santa (Amy Grant)

What an incredible arrangement. The fast, jazzy feel is snappy, and it’s not officially Christmas until I’ve heard the opening bars from the mistress of Christmas herself. I hear this song and immediately I’m a child again. Who’s up for light-looking?

7. Deck the Halls (SHeDAISY)

I had no idea this version of “Deck the Halls” was by SHeDAISY until I compiled this list. It played over the end credits of a Disney Christmas special I watched every year as a kid and it always got stuck in my head.

8. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (Pentatonix)

Two words: Avi Kaplan. His voice is literally too bassy for the speakers in my car. Of course the rest of the group performs up to their usual stellar standard, but Avi is a godsend.

9. Do They Know It's Christmas? (Band Aid)

A classic, and one that doesn’t just get you in the mood but diverts your focus outward. “Feed the world; let them know it’s Christmastime again.”

10. Mis Deseos / Feliz Mavidad (Michael Buble with Thalia)

The harmonies. Just. The harmonies.

11. How Many Kings (downhere)

downhere is a Christian band that regularly releases incredibly powerful music, but “How Many Kings” is a charming tune that reminds us of the actual reason for our celebration, simultaneously inspiring joy and demanding humility.

12. Mary, Did You Know? (Pentatonix)

THE HARMONIES. JUST. THE HARMONIES.

13. Under a Million Lights (Tom Chaplin)

When my childhood crush Tom Chaplin released a Christmas album earlier this year, I squealed in delight. This is the only song from the album I actually listen to.

14. Thank God It's Christmas (Queen)

It’s not as Christmasy as other entries, but it’s a Christmas song, and it’s by Queen, so I can’t much ask much more from it.

15. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee)

I do enjoy a few classics, and with “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree,” there really is no contest. Only Brenda Lee can do justice to this incredibly fun holiday anthem.

16. Humbug (Owl City)

A bit more negative than I’d usually like Christmas songs to be, but still a lighthearted look at the hassle of holiday shopping. And very fun to sing along to.

17. Carol of the Bells (August Burns Red)

Another headbanger. August Burns Red makes you feel like you should be hanging ornaments and moshing with their red-ition of “Carol of the Bells.”

18. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day (Casting Crowns)

Casting Crowns is a great band. Their lyrics are meaningful and well-written; their lead singer has a very distinct voice; and their melodies stick with you. Their Christmas hit is no different.

19. Little Drummer Boy / Peace on Earth (David Bowie & Bing Crosby)

What better way to end a Christmas playlist? Two incredible legends gone too soon come together to bring us a remarkably unique arrangement of these two tunes and it is enchanting.