The Benefits Of Travel/Competitive Sports

I became a woman of fearlessness, eagerness, passion and true dedication when I picked up and left everything I knew to take my abilities to the next level.

652
Whitney Todd

Growing up, our parents always put us in soccer, dance, gymnastics, tee ball and many other sports where we learned coordination and the beginning skills of a sport. We were introduced to competition, where this separated the kids into sub groups.

There were the kids who picked dandelions during the games, the kids who lost and didn’t care that much, and the kids who fought with the referees because they knew the game in and out. It was a blessing and a curse, but I fell into the competitive category in everything I did.

As we get older, we start to narrow down our likes and specialties. Some kids quit sports, and some picked their favorites. When this happens, passion develops and competitiveness increases to dangerously high levels.

I don’t know if it was the neon yellow ball or the fact that I got to play in the dirt that got me initially hooked on the game of softball. But once I was hooked, watch out. We all learn hard work and dedication through sports, but we all have that one favorite sport that we never stopped practicing and preparing for.

Being from a small town, we played against the same 10 teams year after year, never experiencing any change or being exposed to the next level. And then, select softball, also known as travel ball or competitive softball, was introduced to me. The opportunity to learn and play with the best was at my fingertips.

Life lessons are learned from sports, but I became a woman of fearlessness, eagerness, passion and true dedication when I picked up and left everything I knew to take my abilities to the next level.

I learned...

Perseverance: steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.

Change is hard, getting ridiculed for your decision is difficult, and not being the best at everything is hard to swallow. But keeping the end goal at the forefront of your mind is key. When it all pays off, use that perseverance to achieve your next goal.

Toughness: the ability to deal with hardship or to cope in difficult situations.

The next level results in bigger, stronger, better people and coaches. Although I was the smallest by 5 inches at times, I developed physical and mental toughness real quick. Changing from my parents as my coaches to an expert at the sport, developed toughness, true and pure toughness. Learning to take critique and to deal with hardships the hard way transitions to what one has to deal with in the future.

Humility: a modest or low view of one's own importance; humbleness.

At the end of the day, the girl that beat you out is your teammate. There will always be someone better; in the mean time, build your teammates up. It’s not just one who wins games. Humbling yourself makes you a better person and player all around. It is not thinking of yourself less, it is thinking about yourself less often.

Commitment: the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause, activity, etc.

1 hour to Omaha, 1 hour hitting lessons, 2 hour practice, 1 hour home, 3 days a week. Not having a week or weekend off every single summer takes some serious commitment; it becomes your life for years. It wears on the body and your mind, but if you truly love what you do, being dedicated to it should come easy. Learning to commit to your organization, your teammates, your coaches, and your skills is a recipe for success.

Control (emotions): determine the behavior or supervise the running of

Boys, and more specifically girls, can become emotional and highly competitive when they do what the love. But when something doesn’t go the way you want, whether you are right or not, learning to control your emotions is huge. Whether it is a call by an ump you don’t agree with, or the decision to put you at second base instead of shortstop, learning to accept the circumstance and move on, controlling your emotions will take you farther in life than throwing your helmet or the use of bad body language.

Sacrifice: the act of giving up something that you want to keep especially in order to get or do something else or to help someone

The sacrifice of my school friends as teammates, knowing I will always have “my spot” and my playing time year round wasn’t taken lightly. But giving up a couple of things helped me achieve goals and dreams I never thought I would. This is a vital skill to learn, and learning it at a young age was hard, yet so rewarding.

Transitioning from my parents as my coaches, playing against the same teams and playing at a stagnant level to being pushed constantly by the best was hard, but a state championship medal wouldn’t be hanging in my room without it. I wouldn’t have been able to lead with my team into the state championship game my senior year if I wouldn’t have learned how to deal with immense pressure, constant critique and high-level leadership from my select softball experience.

I encourage any and every athlete to take the chance and go learn at the next level. You will learn skills to bring back home that will excel your team forward, you will make lifelong friends, and you will learn skills that you wouldn’t have if you just stayed home.