The Benefits Of Having An Older Best Friend

You're my person.

1431

Ever since we were in preschool, we have been placed into age groups. Everyone in your class was the same age; everyone on your sports team was your same age. Therefore, this age group separation made it very difficult to befriend others in a different age group than yours. Being one year older or younger than someone seemed like such a big deal. Now that we’ve grown older, age groups don’t matter as much and are not as common. When you go to college, most of the people you will meet will be from around the ages of 18 to 22. However, there are so many people who do not fall in this age category and are still an undergraduate at a university.

So, when you get to this point in your life, it is a lot easier to make friends in different age groups, whether that is a younger or older one. I know that I am also personally in this position, and I have been able to have a lasting friendship with someone who is two years older than me; and believe it or not, she is my best friend. There are several benefits to having an older best friend, and here are a few of them:

1. They have been through what you are currently going through.

An older best friend has been there. Whatever problem you are experiencing, they can relate. It’s a comforting feeling to know that someone else has had this problem, and that they can help you out of it.

2. They act as your mentor.

An older best friend acts as a role model for someone to look up to. They provide an example of a future you. They can act as someone whom you aspire to be.

3. They do not want to see you fail.

An older best friend will put in the time and effort to make sure you are successful. They know what works and what doesn’t, and they have the wisdom to help you out.

4. They will share their mistakes with you.

Everyone makes mistakes, and when someone shares their mistakes with you, it makes you aware of how to handle certain situations. If you have an older best friend, you can learn from their mistakes that they made when they were your age.

5. They appreciate and value a lasting friendship.

Because an older best friend will typically have experienced more friendships than you, they know what kind of friends stick around and what kinds don’t. They will put time and effort into a lasting friendship.

While friends your age will be there to support you and share a lasting friendship with you, there are many benefits to having an older best friend. Nothing is as special as that feeling when you know you can always count on your best friend for advice.