The Art Of Tailgating

The Art Of Tailgating

It's not as easy as it seems.

41
The Art Of Tailgating

Now that we're all getting situated back to our Mountain and into our rooms (some more successfully than others), it's time to discuss the art of tailgating. Whether you're the person who knows every rule, every play and every player or that person who has no earthly idea how the game is played, everyone on campus will make their way to at least one Sewanee athletic competition this year. The first, and perhaps the most popular, sports outing on campus is football. In the South, we take our football seriously, but we take the tailgating even more seriously. Here are the biggest do's and don'ts for this year's first football game tailgating.

Don't tailgate so much that you miss the game completely.

Not only do your friends not want to take care of you, but you look like a total rookie if you can't make it to one in the afternoon.

Do wear a sundress!

Hello, we're THE UNIVERSITY OF THE SOUTH! Sundresses are just as essential to a Southern football game as the field. Our dress code isn't just for the classroom here, so let's dress to impress.

Don't get to the game too late.

Everyone has something going on in the morning and it's totally normal, but is there really any point of going to the game if you're only going to watch the last five minutes of it? Fashionably late is suggested, but not so late you were barely there.

Do actually watch the game.

Even if you don't understand football at all. The whole point of making that walk in your wedges or boots is to be at the game, so don't miss the bid plays. Just pay attention; I promise it really isn't that difficult to follow. (P.S. We're the team in the purple!)

Don't spill on yourself or, even worse, your professor.

Yes, they're at the game, too, so try not to make the biggest fool of yourself. There's a difference between the football game and the fraternity house. Remember that!

The first Sewanee home game is coming up! Be sure to remember these tips and you'll score a touchdown for tailgating!