The Art Of Skipping Class

The Art Of Skipping Class

It seems like a good idea until you do it!

81
The Art Of Skipping Class
The Voux

I can remember it so clearly now, the first day I decided to skip a college class. I was such a good student, don't get me wrong. The idea never crossed my mind to skip. I was actually one of those students who absolutely loved my classes. I loved learning, color coding absolutely everything, and typing every little detail, relevant or not, on what my teacher was saying. I was THAT girl.

Then the day appeared where my friend decided to tell me that it was chicken strip day. Yes, chicken strip day. Every Wednesday afternoon for about three hours there was a place on campus that would serve the absolute best chicken strips, and every Wednesday I had to miss because my biology class took place. The thought to skip this class never even crossed my mind until minutes before class started when my friend whispered to me, "The teacher won't even notice. Come on, it's only one class. Who would even miss us?" This is the day my college career changed forever.

I wish this story would end in happiness, and with this particular day it did. I got my chicken strips, and even went back for seconds...and maybe thirds. I left feeling full, content, and completely OK with my decision to take a break from biology. A "break," yeah, that's what I called it. That is also what I called it when I did it the next Wednesday too. I deserved a "break". I had been working so hard in all of my other classes, and it's not like she would notice...right? Sadly enough, I was wrong.

It's OK to miss a class or two during the semester. What I realized my freshman year of college is that sometimes a "break" is necessary, but sometimes that "break" can become very out of control. While I got good grades freshman year, I had to work twice as hard in the last few months of school because I had slacked off in the first few. I ended up doing the same amount of work, but making it harder on myself. I decided my sophomore year, early on, that I would make a change, and this is how it has affected me.

1. I still absolutely love chicken strips on Wednesday's, but if I have class then I find something else that I can enjoy on Friday's when I don't have class...like ice cream!

2. While I easily get frustrated with the long hours of classes, and wish to be outside or with friends, I start to think of the people who don't have the opportunity of getting an education, and I find myself feeling grateful to be able to have such an amazing experience.

3. Yes, skipping class and doing what you want is something you didn't have the freedom to do in high school (at least not in mine), but I find comfort in the fact that I show up every day and I have every bit of information they have given out.

4. While there will be people stressed beyond belief during finals week, you will feel relief. You have gone to every class and paid attention. That is where the true knowledge is obtained. Even Ryan Gosling believes in you...so what could go wrong?

5. The teachers notice who is there. Some students have the misconception that when a syllabus says "attendance will not be taken" it means they never have to show up. WRONG. It just means we're adults now, and we should be grown up enough to know that we're paying thousands of dollars for this professor to teach us something, so we should want to learn it.

I am not by any means trying to say that missing a class means you're a horrible human being. It honestly just means that you're human. I will still skip a class every once in a while, but I've made it my goal to not do that at all. From my personal experience as a freshman last year, sometimes the chicken strips just aren't worth it.