Trashing: The Age Old Tradition at Oxford University

You don't want to be wearing your best suit.

236
Shelley Hoffmire

Students at Oxford University are celebrating the end of their finals week, although it's not what you think. When students leave their exam schools, they are doused with champagne, confetti, silly string, and shaving cream in the tradition of 'trashing.' This quirky custom originated in the 90s and it's still strong today despite receiving backlash from proctors, administration, and the community.

In 2010, proctors banned the use of eggs, beans, ketchup, meat, and fish during trashing. Students which fail to adhere to the school's policy are subjected to fines or more severe consequences.

While the University continues to enforce their rules against trashing, those involved appear to be having a good time. Personally, I would object to being doused in silly string and shaving cream, no matter the occasion. I'm thankful that BU's traditions extend as far as a Lobster Night.

Do you have a post-finals celebration? Leave a comment below!