The Adventures Of Loving Someone With Alzheimer's

Will there ever be a cure?

27
Lightspring via Shuttershcok

Alzheimer's is one of the most common forms of dementia. It often causes problems with short-term memory, thinking and everyday behavior. Symptoms usually develop slowly but they get worse over time, becoming severe enough to interfere with daily life tasks. Someone is affected by Alzheimer's every 66 seconds, and it is the sixth leading cause of death among senior citizens. Alzheimer's can be passed down genetically from generation to generation. Unfortunately, this horrific disease currently has no cure.

When a person is affected by Alzheimer's, his or her family is affected as well. Every day is a different adventure. One second that family member may know who you are and the next second they may not. My grandmother has been suffering from Alzheimer's for the past ten years. It Is very difficult traveling to see my grandma, going into her room to give her a hug, and she doesn't even recognize who I am. All my grandmother loved to do was crochet, and now she doesn't even remember the process to do that. It's like this disease has taken over her body and changed her into someone she is most definitely not.

If you have a family member or know of someone suffering from Alzheimer's, you're probably left wondering why, of all people, your family member has to suffer from this horrible disease. To those who have family members who are living with Alzheimer's, I want to you always remember that good or bad, everything in life happens for a reason. Just because this horrific disease has taken a toll on your loved one both mentally and physically doesn't mean it defines who they are. Although easier said than done, you must remember your loved one as the person they once were. Alzheimer's may take away many things, but the love they have deep down inside will never be erased.

"Love is a memory—it's a feeling that resides in your heart and soul."

Although my grandmother does not remember me, just having a conversation with her and seeing her smile makes all the difference in the world.