Hulu's 'The Act' Will Be Your New Obsession

If you haven't started binge watching now then what are you doing with your life.

79
Hulu

One of the hottest shows so far in 2019 has been a new show called "The Act" on Hulu. The show is based on the real life of Gypsy Rose Blanchard and her mother Dee Dee Blanchard.

The show follows as Dee Dee is making the whole world believe that her daughter Gypsy Rose has illnesses and disabilities like leukemia, asthma, muscular dystrophy, and many other chronic conditions. It turns out that she is making everyone believe these things because it is a direct consequence of Munchausen syndrome by proxy. This mental disorder cause a parent or caretaker to exaggerate, fabricate, or induce illnesses in a person under their care to obtain sympathy or attention.

Eventually, Gypsy Rose finds out that her whole life is basically a lie. With the help of her boyfriend Nicholas Godejohn, they murder Dee Dee and run away together. They get caught and were both charged with murder. If you still aren't ready to watch the show like everyone else is then here are a few good reasons why you should start watching.

The Storyline

YouTube

The storyline of The Act is so interesting. This show is the definition of a true crime drama show. Sometimes while watching, I almost forget that this all happened in real life (and in the town I'm currently living in).

The show goes back and forth to "the past" when Dee Dee and Gypsy Rose Blanchard were living together in Springfield, MO portraying this sick little girl and caring mother and "the present" when detectives, police, and neighbors/friends discover Dee Dee's dead body and a missing Gypsy Rose.

The directors and writers did so well with the script to make it as real as possible. They obviously to make things a little more drama for TV but mostly follow the real life story of these people.

The Acting

Just Jared Online

These talented ladies are the stars of The Act. AnnaSophia Robb (far left), who is best known from movies like "Bridge to Terabithia" and "Soul Surfer", plays Lacey who is neighbors with the Blanchards and friend to Gypsy Rose. Next is Joey King (middle left), who is best known from movies like "The Kissing Booth" and "Ramona & Beezus", plays Gypsy Rose Blanchard. Next to Joey King is Patricia Arquette (middle right), who is best known from the movie "Boyhood" and the tv series "Medium", plays Dee Dee Blanchard. Lastly, Chloë Sevigny (far right), who is best known from the movie "Boys Don't Cry" and the tv series "Big Love", plays Mel who is Lacey's mother, neighbors to the Blanchards, and friend to Dee Dee.

These four women are so talented in this show especially King and Arquette. Their portrayal of Gypsy Rose and Dee Dee is absolutely amazing with how they got to look, sound, and act exactly like the real person. I imagine getting into a character like that must be incredibly hard but they both make it look so easy.

If you aren't already watching "The Act" then you don't know what you are missing out on. The storyline and acting is absolutely incredible. I know for a fact that this show will be racking up some awards next season so make sure to get a head of the game start watching now. New episodes are available every Wednesday on Hulu.