The 9 Truths of Having a Guy Best Friend

Every girl wants one, but not every girl has one.

111
Brave Magazine

We all have that group of friends we hang out with on a regular basis. But within that group of friends there is always one or two people that stand out from the rest. When you're a girl with a guy best friend then you experience a different sort of friendship. I promise, it's not a bad sort of different. It's just different. So here's the 9 truths I've come to discover that come along with having a guy for a best friend. Some are great, some are annoying, but either way you still love them.

1. Diets don't exist.

You never have to worry about whether or not what your eating is healthy or if you're eating too much. He'll always, always, always, be down for a late night run to Taco Bell or La Juas and won't bat an eye if you devour a whole pizza by yourself. You might even have competitions on who can eat the most without throwing up.

2. You'll never get in trouble...alone.

Nine times out of ten, when you're hanging out it's usually late at night with some insane idea that only he could come up with. But even as you say "no" you're already lacing up your tennis shoes (which are great for running from campus security) and grabbing a jacket for the new adventure of stupidity that awaits. Having a guy best friend is the sure fire way of always being talked into doing something stupid that you'll probably regret but you know you'll forever remember.

3. In his mind, you are actually a male.

He doesn't bat an eye at your sloppy hair or the fact that you never wear make up around him, which is actually a huge perk. But the reality of it is that half the time he forgets you're actually a female and you're just considered to be "one of the guys". So, be ready for the teasing comments made when you actually do your hair and make up for once and put on something other than a pair of sweats.

4. People think you're dating.

Gross. Ew. Gag. It doesn't matter how many times you explain it, someone will always think you're dating which ultimately leads to rolling your eyes and pretending to throw up. The friends that are close with both of you know not to even make a joke about it.

5. There's no drama.

If someone were to ask me what my favorite thing about having a guy as my best friend was, I would definitely say no drama. In fact, venting to him is great because the majority of the time I know he'll forget what I'm talking about within ten minutes.

6. You'll always have someone to protect you.

In fact, you'll always have someone that is so over protective of you he scares off any guy that is interested. He firmly believes that no one is good enough for you and has made it his job to thwart you away from guys that are exactly like him. It's like having another big brother except this one is your age and is constantly around to make sure no guy touches you. If anyone dares to hurt you, you know he'll make them pay.

7. He'll never lie to you.

The thing about having a guy best friend is that he'll always tell you the truth, even if it's hard to hear. You know where you stand with him because of his honesty, so appreciate it, even in the times that it makes you angry. Sometimes it's good to have an honest opinion, but being friends with a guy also means he doesn't think like your girls do and every once in a while slips up with a comment that is downright insulting.

8. You firmly believe no girl will be good enough for him.

You know his faults and his failures just as well as you know his charm and success. It doesn't matter how great of a girl she may be, you know she'll never be good enough for him. However, that still doesn't stop you from being his wing-woman and finding yourself pointing out random girls and saying, "What about her? She has a nice butt."

9. You fight like siblings.

Bickering and getting annoyed with each other is something that happens on a daily basis. You refer to him as your brother and he refers to you as his sister. You talk about how much you can't wait to be away from each other for the summer but somehow they're still the first person you text when you're bored or can't sleep at night.

Having a guy best friend is both rewarding and challenging, but you know you'll never trade them for anything in the world.