The 80's, Where Have You Gone?

The 80's, Where Have You Gone?

I envy those times

18
The 80's, Where Have You Gone?
Payton Stark

I have heard plenty of people say this about themselves because they like two songs from the 80's or they picked up on one of the style trends. Most of the time I laugh to myself, as they quickly turn away and any sort of resemblance of the 80's is gone. Than there are some people that actually seem to be born in the wrong era. So much so that they almost don't fit in and their music, their clothes, the way they think all seems to be old fashioned. Well that is the way I feel, it has gotten to the point that I think I would have felt most at home walking the streets, hanging at one of the clubs, listening to the bands. Something that I will never be able to experience in the same way as it was done in the 80's and that saddens me.

The music I listen to has become primarily 80's music and all the bands are old or dead. I realize that there is no club for me and my friends to go to and dance the night away to The Cure or The Psychedelic furs. The death of the American sub culture has put a damper on creativity and style. The 80's was a time of experimentation, with music and with clothes, so much so that they often got it wrong. But when they got it right, it was so right. All the clubs in Milwaukee have since closed.

(My father and his band at the Triangle Lounge in Milwaukee)

The music scene is no where to be found. I love listening to the stories of my dad, when he talks about how easy it was to form a band, and how not everyone had to be amazing at their instruments to make music by the people for the people. You did everything by yourself, you didn't have to go to some studio in Nashville where they ripped you off and ruined your voice with audio tune.

I long for a return of individuality and self expression. A time of opinions, without close minded people and hate for the other side.

So say goodbye to a time when dancing filled your weekends and romance wasn't over the phone in the form of texting. When people were allowed to have emotions and everyone was artistic in one way or another.