The 7 Stages Of Crafting

The 7 Stages Of Crafting

We start off any DIY with such immense confidence, but then we all know things may take a turn. We've all been through these 7 stages, I know I always do!

71
The 7 Stages Of Crafting

I like to think of myself as a very crafty person. I could spend hours in Michael's, and I always end up with more than I came in for. My Pinterest board is full to the max of DIYs, recipes, or activities, and I love every bit of this crafty life. But I know every single time I try to complete a project, I've realized there are seven stages that I always seem to go through.

1. Imagination

As I said before, my Pinterest board is full to the brim with ideas and crafts I want to do. From canvases to cookies and from wooden signs to homemade soaps. You name it, I’ve got in pinned.

And in order to start a project, I have to have an idea and use my imagination in order to create a project.

2. Cockiness

Too often I find myself sitting there scrolling through my pinterest board looking at other crafters endeavors thinking to myself “this is going to be easy!” “they used a stencil?!” scoff “I can do that freehand!” “This should only take me about an hour! So simple!”

3. Determination

Once I pick my project, I'm off to Michael's to buy whatever the heck I need for this craft. Honestly, though, I probably have most if not all of the supplies shoved in a drawer somewhere. Anyway, as I was saying, going to Michael's is an adventure and one of my favorite places to go. Every time I walk in, I feel like I own the place, and I know exactly where everything is, since I'm there almost every single week. I'll walk around feeling so confident and artistic and that I could create anything.

But even though I go with just one project in mind, I'm sure I'll leave with countless of supplies for some other project that I have yet to create in my mind! Like of course I need a bag of marbles, 5 more tubes of paint, 3 balls of yarn, and Popsicle sticks... I'm sure I'll find something to do with them.

After the trip to Michael's, I'm so ready to get going and craft my little crafty heart out.

4. Perseverance

Right as I start my project, I always want to get it done in a timely manner. Although knowing me, I probably started too late, I still gotta keep going and stick to it, otherwise I would've spent all this time and money on a half completed craft (and let me tell you, I have too many unfinished canvases just sitting in my room waiting for a little more love to be put into them). Regardless of any bumps I may face, I try my hardest to do my best and finish what I started.

5. Defeat

Now I did say that I will try to finish what I started, but emphasis on the word try... No matter how easy a craft may be, I always get to a point where I'm just like "You know... I tried my best, and that's all that really matters." I realize that I probably shouldn't have thought I could do this project (or at least that I couldn't do it an hour before when I needed it done).

6. Acceptance

Immediately following defeat is acceptance. I have to accept my defeat and accept that I have no artistic abilities whatsoever, but I really just have to roll with it. I have to pretend that I'm really and truly proud with my work and present it to others with confidence. If they think I love it and think it's great, then I'm sure I'll get a few sympathy compliments, and that's all that really matters.

7. Adapt

Project after project I realize that maybe this isn't what I should be doing, but I try time after time to improve my skills and show that I can get better if I stick my mind to it. After each craft, I learn from my mistakes, which paint to use, how long paint actually needs to dry, and even maybe the correct way to use a hot glue gun because I'm sure there's a way to not burn yourself every single time you touch it...

But really, although I may not want to show off every single craft I make, I learn from my mistakes and I'm still proud of myself every single time because I tested my imagination and my artistic abilities. And I know that next time, things will go much better!

Crafting and DIY-ing is such a great way of expression and I love being able to create something on my own. Regardless of whether or not I could have just bought something, knowing that I made it is an extremely good feeling and I'm proud, no matter what.

If you're really worried that whatever you made belongs in the trash, take a second and look at all these wonderful Pinterest Fails. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of it and you also will feel better about your craft!