The 5 Best Parts of Thanksgiving

The 5 Best Parts of Thanksgiving

It will always be my favorite holiday.
8

Thanksgiving is absolutely my favorite holiday! The weather is gorgeous, the leaves are still red and yellow, and do I even have to mention mashed potatoes and stuffing? Here is a list of the 5 best things about Thanksgiving.

1. FOOD

This one absolutely had to come first. Thanksgiving is the only day where it is socially acceptable to eat like a pig. Everyone else is doing it too! There are so many different types of food on the table. It's not just about the turkey. There's stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams, cranberries, and pie. Man, do I love pie.

2. Family and Loved Ones

I am so happy that Thanksgiving is one of the few days of the year that the whole family gets together. My family lives pretty close to one another, but with our busy schedules and kids sometimes it becomes hard for all of us to get together. I'm fortunate enough to have a family that gets along pretty well, so I really look forward to family gatherings. It's nice to catch up, reflect, and discuss on what we have been doing throughout the year.

3. Football

Thanksgiving always comes with Football. The terms are synonymous. Three games are played every year, with the Cowboys and the Lions always playing on this day. They are dispersed throughout the day so that there is always something to watch at 1, 4, and 8 pm.

4. The Parade

I remember getting up everything Thanksgiving as a child and being so excited to watch the parade. The floats and performances were mesmerizing. Of course, the ending was the best. Santa rides in on his sleigh to signal the official start of Christmas season. This was always exciting for me, because it meant my birthday would be soon!

5. March of the Wooden Soldiers

Oh, nostalgia. One of my favorite movies and definitely a holiday classic. This laurel and hardy tale from the 1930's has played after the parade on the CW for my entire life. It's almost the only time it's ever broadcasted on television. My family never misses it. Bonus: TNT plays a Christmas Story for 24 hours.

I'm so excited this year. My sister and I are going to stay over at our parents house and binge watch Netflix. We will still get up early to help our mom cook and to watch the parade. We get to be kids again in front of that television screen.