The 13 Best Holiday Movies To Countdown The Days Until Christmas

There are 13 days left until Christmas. Here's a movie for each night!

196
Screen Junkies

As the snow starts falling and the temperatures start dropping, there’s nothing better to do than curl up under a blanket and watch some television. And with Christmas just a short 13 days away, it’s past time that we look at the best Christmas movies out there. Although you only have a few days yet to watch them, it won’t be too difficult to get them all in—all you need to do is watch one a night, and you’ll be good to go! Now, pop the popcorn, get the hot cocoa, and settle in for a ranking of the top 13 Christmas.

13. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

This isn’t one of my favorites, truthfully. However, it is such a classic that it has to be watched! If you’re anything like me, you feel so bad for Rudolph and the rest of the misfit friends he makes, and are cheering for them from the start. I like to believe that Hermey achieved his dreams of becoming a dentist, and I search the skies every Christmas Eve for Rudolph’s shiny red nose!

12. Shrek the Halls (2007)

Poor Shrek has never had any interest in Christmas before, but after Fiona wishes for a true Christmas for them and the kids, he agrees to provide her one. The problem is, he knows absolutely nothing about Christmas! When the entire clan descends on his swamp with their own ideas and versions of ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, Shrek responds in typical Shrek fashion, lashing out at his friends and family and driving them all away. Will he be able to make it up to Fiona? And, as usual, Puss in Boots steals the show during his telling of the story.

11. The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006)

In the third installment of the series, Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) invites his new in-laws—who think he is a toymaker in Canada— to visit his home in the North Pole. Along with his family, he also has to deal with a scheme by Jack Frost (Martin Short) to take over the North Pole. With a new head elf in charge, Curtis, and all of his family in town, Scott has plenty of people fighting for him against the evil Jack Frost.

10. The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)

Mickey Rooney lends his voice (again) to the voice of Santa in this sequel to the 1970 Santa Claus Is Coming to Town. When exhausted Santa decides to skip his annual Christmas Eve run due to lack of Christmas spirit, Mrs. Claus and two of his elves set out to change his mind. From a reindeer with heat sickness disguised as a dog to the wonderfully awful Heatmiser and Snowmiser, the memorable moments in this movie never stop. And just to warn you, you may be caught with a tear in your eye during the “Blue Christmas” scene!

9. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

Trust me on this—the animated classic is so much better than the live-action film. As I’m sure you all know the story of the Grinch and his Christmas escapades, I’ll tell you the real reason I watch this movie. As much as I love the heart-warming ending and the music (especially the titular song by Thurl Ravescroft), I watch this movie for Max, plain and simple.

8. Fred Claus (2007)

This one’s a little bit of a twist on your classic Santa Claus film. Following the story of Santa’s (Paul Giamatti) lesser known brother Fred (Vince Vaugh), we are introduced to what happens when a sibling constantly lives in the shadow of a saintly sibling. The complete opposite of his brother, Nicholas, Fred finds himself in some trouble and must ask Nicholas for money. What ensues is an awkward family reunion as Nicholas makes Fred partake in the toy-making to work off the debt, hoping to change Fred’s Scrooge-like tendencies.

7. The Santa Clause 2 (2002)

Tim Allen reprises his role as Santa in this sequel to the 1994 movie The Santa Claus. Eight years after he takes over for Santa, the new Santa, also known as Scott Calvin, is thrown some curveballs—not only is his son, Charlie, on the naughty list, but he also must find a wife by Christmas Eve, or risk never being Santa again! Plus, David Krumholtz is still playing sarcastic head elf Bernard, so you truly can’t go wrong with this choice!

6. Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town (1970)

This is my absolute favorite of the “stop-motion” Christmas movies. Starring the voices of Fred Astaire and Mickey Rooney, this film introduces to viewers the story of the origins of Kris Kringle—or the man who comes to be known as Santa Claus. From adorable Topper the Penguin to the catchy “One Foot in Front of The Other,” this movie is sure to have characters and moments in it that will make it a classic for your family for years to come.

5. A Christmas Carol (Take your pick… there’s a lot of them!)

Personally, this isn’t one of my favorites. But, I have to take every other list I’ve ever seen into consideration, and whit how big of a following it has, I have to give it a ranking. I’m not even sure how many different versions there are, but I’m sure there’s one out there that you’ll find that you like. If you’re into musicals, try the 1970 movie Scrooge, starring Albert Finney as the title character. Or, you can try the 1951 movie of the same name, starring Alastair Sim. Finally, if you’d prefer a newer version, there’s always Disney’s 2009 version titled A Christmas Carol.

4. The Santa Clause (1994)

In perhaps one of his best roles, loveable Tim Allen portrays the man of the hour when the real Santa Clause falls off his roof on Christmas Eve. What follows is a comedic interpretation of Scott Calvin turning into Santa as Christmas Eve draws closer, weight-gain and beard growth included. This is definitely one of those movies that I forget about until I see a list of Christmas movies, and then I race off to go watch it. Plus, Bernard (David Krumholtz) is one of the best characters ever. You won’t regret this one, I promise!

3. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

Starring Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo, and a very young Johnny Galecki, this 1989 classic is another that never gets old. From the very first scene when we’re introduced to the Griswold’s, you can immediately relate to the family. All poor Clark wants is to give his family the best Christmas possible. From forgetting the chainsaw to a gas explosion, Clark is thrown every curveball in the world, but still manages to be pretty successful. Although hilarious, some content may be inappropriate for younger children, so I’d advise following the PG-13 suggestion.

2. A Christmas Story (1983)

With Peter Billinglsey, Melinda Dillon, and Darren McGavin, this movie has been a staple in my family for as long as I can remember. It’s on all day long on TBS, from 8:00 pm Saturday until 8:00 pm Sunday, and is on for just about all of those 24 hours in my house. It has been the background for countless unwrappings of presents, cookings of Christmas dinner, and it never fails that the restaurant scene happens just as we’re sitting down for dinner. I can promise, you won’t want to shoot your eye out after watching this movie, and the 24-hour marathon never gets sickening, either.

1. Elf (2003)

Starring Will Ferrell, James Caan, Bob Newhart, and Zooey Deschanel as the necessary love-interest, this movie follows Buddy the Elf on his journey to finding his father when he learns he’s not a real elf. Moments of hilarity ensue, including a slightly-uncomfortable but never the less funny visit to a mail room and a fight with an “angry elf,” Elf is deserving of the top spot for the range of emotions you’ll experience and the sheer fun you’ll have while watching it. Elf is a movie that is acceptable at all times of the year, and even after the hundredth time watching it, you still won’t be sick of it!