The 10 Roommate Commandments

The 10 Roommate Commandments

5. Thou shall ask before having someone stay over

190
The 10 Roommate Commandments

Part of a good college experience is having a great roommate. I am very lucky that my roommates are my best friends, but I've heard some roommate horror stories. Every time I listen, I wonder why they haven't established some sort of contract with their roomie.

That's why I've created the 10 Commandments of being a good roommate. Hang them in your room somewhere if you feel inclined to do so.

1. Thou shall clean their side of the room.

There's nothing worse than a messy roommate. Things start to smell after a while and if it's gotten to that point, your side is overdue for a cleaning. Be courteous to your roommate, and the people who visit your room for that matter, and clean up after yourself. The room doesn't have to be sparkling, but you should be able to see some of the floors.

2. Thou shall not needlessly blast music

Not only does your roommate have things to do, but so do the people around you. Blasting music at all hours of the day is annoying for everyone involved. Put in some headphones and let the people around you work in peace.

3. Thou shall maintain common spaces

This is based on the same principle as keeping your room clean. If you have a kitchen, bathroom, or common space that you share with your roommate(s), do your part in keeping it clean. It's not fair to let one roommate do all of the dishes or always take out the trash. Things start to grow mold and smell. If you notice that, clean up a little!

4. Thou shall help me when I can't help myself

Everyone has one of those nights where it seems to pass by in a blur. Regardless of if you went out with your roommate or not, they should help you find your way into your bed at the end of the night. Even just a glass of water and an Advil before hopping under the covers can make all the difference.

Before having someone from home or from school stay the weekend in your room, tell your roomie they're coming. It's nice to have some prior warning before someone just camps out in your shared double for three nights. This commandment especially applies if you're living in one room, not an apartment.

6. Thou shall ask before borrowing something

The best part about having a roommate who's your size? You have two closets! But one of them isn't yours. Be courteous and ask your roommate before borrowing an article of clothing, any makeup, styling tools, etc. and they'll (hopefully) do the same when they want to wear a pair of your shoes!

7. Thou shall not go through my things

The biggest invasion of privacy is going through your roommate's things without asking. This is a huge problem and should be stopped the moment it starts. If you notice your roommate getting nosy with your stuff, tell them you don't appreciate it and you would never do it to them...because you shouldn't.

8. Thou shall keep me informed

I'm not your mom, but it would be nice to know that you're the one walking into our room at 2 a.m. and not some stranger. A simple text to leave the door unlocked would suffice for this one.

9. Thou shall listen

While you two don't have to be best friends, there are some days where you just need someone to rant to. There are some other days where you just need a friend or a shoulder to cry on. On any given day, you would do the same for them.

10. Thou shall respect me and I shall respect you

The bottom line: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!