Thank You, Chucktown

Thank You, Chucktown

"This isn't a goodbye, it's a see you later."
359

As my time here in Charleston is coming to an end, I am becoming extremely reminiscent of the things I will miss most when I go back to Cleveland. It took me three years to finally want to come back to this place and now I am heartbroken to leave.

Throughout my years here, I have met my best friends, lost a few and gained some more. I have experienced heartache, depression, anxiety, failed housing situations and more. Leaving home as a freshman was hard for me. I never wanted to go to college; it was something I had always dreaded. When I finally got there, I felt like I had to find my person.

My mom met her best friend in college and my dad has a group of people he would hate to live without. Having such a tight-knit group of friends back in Cleveland, it was hard for me to wrap my head around finding something similar in Charleston.

So many of my friends that went to college have fifteen friends or more; it was overwhelming for me to think about. I was in a sorority, but it wasn't my thing. (Ironically, most of my friends are Theta dropouts, like I am. And I met none of them through Theta). I am allergic to alcohol and hate crowds. This means I don't like going to bars or crowded parties. I always thought I was doing it wrong and for a while, people tried to make me do college their way.

Eventually, I decided I was perfectly happy doing college my way and that was enough for me. I went from having a large group of friends and being involved in a mass group chat to ending up with less than five friends that I cannot imagine my life without. I found my people, even if it took me four years to figure it out. It also didn't take me that long to realize that my person was always there and I truly got lucky.

Shout out to my parents for giving me my best friend from the very beginning. If you haven't caught on yet, it's my twin sister, Drewby Emmy Schmoopy, Drew Emmy for short. (When I read her this line, she thought I was referring to Jovi, our dog). Don't get me started about her leaving me to go work in New York City this summer. I will begin to cry and the tears will soak into my keyboard and I wouldn't be able to finish this article. That's a story for another day.

Behind my friends, I'll miss the food, shopping and views the most. I mean, how can I choose one? Second Sunday is one of the best days of the month and there's nothing like a good old fashioned Charleston farmers market in Marion Square on Saturday.

The Market is one of my favorite places as well, there's jewelry for days and some amazing sweet tea lemonade at the end. Everywhere you turn there is a restaurant or atmosphere waiting to blow you away. The very first place I visited in Charleston during college tour season was Waterfront Park and the Battery. Nothing really beats the views from these places. The one thing I will NOT miss, however, is the parking. I swear the parking officers are out for blood.

I would like to give a little shout out to one of my favorite human beings: John. If you're in Charleston, stop at Jacks and ask for him. He has really made this last year memorable with his hospitality and care for my sister and I. I have never met anyone so selfless and giving. I shed tears saying goodbye to him.

Furthermore, I will miss being friends with all of the employees at Sephora. Last year I used to live above the store and this year I am just a few streets away (that hasn't stopped me, though.)

Sephora on King is my home away from home and leaving those wonderful women has me feeling so sad. I walked into the store today and they all asked me when I was leaving and requested I come in every day until then (which will not be a hard feat to accomplish). Don't worry; I don't buy a new item every time (I wish). The place is just like my own version of the Willy Wonka factory, I can never get enough.

Another thing I will miss is the Hospitality program at the College of Charleston. I have said it before and I will say it again, there is nothing like this program anywhere. I have learned so much from many different and unique experiences. The best part about a class is feeling comfortable asking questions and wanting to learn more.

For the most part, I was always looking forward to my classes. My teachers encouraged my incessant need to question and inquire. They allowed my creativity to run free and gave me a tremendous amount of responsibility.

As a result, they have helped me grow more than I could have ever imagined. I feel more capable of my abilities because of professors here and hate the thought of potentially never seeing them again. We will be keeping in contact via email, though, we all made each other promise. My experience at the Beatty School of Business was something incredibly special.

I will sum it all up by saying thank you, Chuck(town).

It has been a wonderful four years getting to know you and I can't wait for what the future holds. Maybe one day we will find our way back to each other.

Until next time...