A Thank You To Generations Before Me

A Thank You To Generations Before Me

You were the example for your children, who raised more children, who raised me to know what is important in life.

50
A Thank You To Generations Before Me
Amy Ruschen

When I look at my parents, grandparents, and other adults that have surrounded me over the years, I see one common denominator. Hard work. Work ethic has been important to my family for generations and I want to thank them for that. Thank you to my great-grandparents for raising my grandparents the right way, instilling the value of hard work in them, teaching them tricks a trades to use in life, and how to be great parents. Thank you to my grandparents for taking what you learned growing up and teaching my parents, aunts, and uncles how to work just as hard. So, lastly, thank you to my parents for following the pattern and teaching me all there is to know about life, how to love with my whole heart, and how to work hard for what I want.

My dad grew up on a farm in Raymond, Minnesota, he worked in the fields, the garden, in the barn, and in the classroom. My mom grew up in Sharpsville, Pennsylvania, she worked many jobs through the years, helped her mom with chores, worked to excel in the classroom and on the clarinet. Both came from families that encouraged them and guided them into the world of success. They both attended Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They met as freshmen through mutual friends and fell in love. When they got married they were still finishing college, trying to pay the bills, and working together to make it work. My dad was in school to get his degree as a Civil Engineer and my mom was working towards her Bachelors in Education with the hope of one day getting her Master's degree in Early Childhood Development. They worked hard and supported each other until they were out in the working world.

From the time I was old enough to help my mom with chores or my dad with yard work, I have been doing so. Saturdays were cleaning days and my room was expected to be spotless. My sisters and I had a chore list with tasks assigned to each of us. One would dusk, one would vacuum, one would fold towels, and so on. I remember dreading Saturdays and thinking that "all these chores are pointless, my mom is so mean, why do I have to help pull weeds." I didn't understand the value of hard work. Once I was old enough to get a job my parents strongly suggested I do just that. My mom even found a job for me, told me I "got the job" if I went to lifeguard training, and sent me on my way. I became a lifeguard and worked at a summer camp for two summers, I also decided on my own to pick up another job during the school year at a restaurant. With school, swim, cheer, tumbling, managing the boy's basketball team, debate, photography, and work, I was running myself ragged. However, my parents still expected that my chores would be done and my grades would stay up. That is how it was and I would always complain about how "strict my parents were" when it came to work and school.

After many years of my parents getting on my case about my messy room, poor grades, and lack of motivation, I finally understand. I now work three jobs, go to class full-time, keep my apartment fairly clean, and try to manage a social life. Growing up all I ever knew was, working hard to get where you want, to have a great work ethic in the world full of lazy Millennials, and to be thankful for what is given to me.

Well, here I am. Thankful to the generations before me that worked in steel mills, on farms, in offices, classrooms, and many other locations. I am thankful that no one before me was able to slide by in life without learning about working hard. I am thankful to come from a long line of men and women who thrived in the workforce. I am thankful that when my room is a mess I can hear my mom saying, "You better make that bed and pick up those dirty socks," just like her mother said to her, and my grandmother's mother before. When I'm tired at work I remind myself of the times my dad would come home from a long day of work, only to help my mom with chores, fix things around the house, help me with my homework, and then work some more at home. I know he had to have been exhausted, but he learned from example. His father worked all day and still came into the house to work more to support his family.

Thank you to the generations of Ruschens and Kruisslebrinks before me who passed down their work ethics, taught by example, and made me who I am today.