Thanksgiving Recipes

Thanksgiving Recipes

It's time to eat!

12
Thanksgiving Recipes

During the break from school and the time I was able to have with my family, we were able to talk about our favorite Thanksgiving foods. I thought it would be a good idea to find some of our favorite food recipes and put them in one place.

Cornbread Stuffing

INGREDIENTS

• Any 9" square cornbread that's homemade or store bought
  • 5 slices stale white bread cut into cubes
  • 10 tablespoons butter divided use
  • 1 large onion finely chopped
  • 1 cup celery finely chopped
  • 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • cooking spray
  • optional: sage leaves for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS

• Prepare the cornbread according to instructions on the package.
  • Cool the cornbread and crumble. Place the cornbread in a large bowl with the bread cubes and toss to combine.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
  • Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 6-8 minutes or until softened. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste. Place the vegetables in the bowl with the cornbread mixture.
  • Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and pour into a large bowl. Add the chicken broth, eggs, salt and pepper to taste, and sage and whisk to combine.
  • Pour the butter mixture into the bowl with the cornbread mixture and stir to combine.
  • Transfer the stuffing mixture to the prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until dressing is browned and cooked through.
  • Sprinkle with parsley and garnish with sage leaves if desired. Serve.

Hashbrown Casserole 

Ingredients

• 30 oz frozen shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion diced
  • 3 large garlic cloves minced
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole milk (can use reduced fat if needed)
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/2 tbsp minced parsley (can use dried parsley if needed)
  • salt
  • fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese topping

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 casserole baking dish.
  2. Preheat medium pot over medium heat on stove-top.
  3. Add oil, heat it through and add onions. Saute onions until they start to brown.
  4. Smash and mince garlic and add it to the onions. Stir and saute until fragrant.
  5. Sprinkle flour over the onions and stir well. Stir for a few seconds and start slowly pouring in chicken stock, while stirring. Pour in milk after that while stirring as well.
  6. Let the mixture heat through and start to thicken.
  7. Stir in sour cream, cheese, salt, and pepper. Let the mixture cook and thicken as the cheese melts. Taste to make sure you have enough seasoning.
  8. Stir in parsley.
  9. Mix hash browns and cheese sauce in a large bowl and spread the mixture in the prepared casserole dish. Make sure it's all spread evenly throughout.
  10. Spread some more cheese on top and bake for 35-40 minutes, until casserole browned and bubbles around the edges.

Deviled Eggs

INGREDIENTS

• 1 dozen large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise (reduced fat is OK)
  • 3-4 tablespoons pickle cubes, drained (optional, see notes)
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Place eggs in the bottom of a large pot and cover with cold water.
  2. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Turn off heat, cover the pan and let the eggs sit for 20 minutes.
  3. Drain the eggs and rinse them with cold water.
  4. Peel the eggs then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out yellow yolks and place them in a small bowl. Plate egg white halves on serving plate.
  5. Use a fork to mash the egg yolks. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Season to taste with extra salt and pepper as needed.
  6. Fill each egg half with the yolk mixture, mounding it up a little. Sprinkle with desired toppings and serve.

Apple Pie

INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon great nutmeg
  • 6-7 cups apples peeled and sliced
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • pastry for double crust (9 inches)
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 large egg white

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
  2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
  3. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
  4. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.

Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients

• 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 2 cups finely chopped crimini mushrooms
  • 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
  • 1//4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry
  • 3/4 cup whole milk, warm
  • 3/4 cup half and half, warm
  • 1 tsp worcestershire
  • 2 14.5 oz cans green beans, no salt added, drained and shaken of all excess moisture
  • 2 cups French fried onions

Fried Onions (If Using)

• 2 small onions, sliced thin
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a square baking dish (8x8 or 9x9 is fine).
  2. For the casserole: In a large skillet, melt butter over a medium heat. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon salt. Stir. Reduce heat to low and whisk in flour. Cook one minute. Slowly whisk in sherry. Cook 30 seconds.
  3. Slowly whisk in whole milk and half half making sure to get all lumps out. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until thickened, about five minutes. Add in remaining salt and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat.
  4. Stir in green beans, mix until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of fried onions. Transfer to baking dish and top with remaining fried onions. Bake until onions are golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly.

Fried Onions (If Using)

1. In a medium skillet, heat about ½ inch of canola oil. Heat to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk flour, salt and black pepper. Place milk in another small bowl. Working in batches coat the onions first in the milk, then flour (shaking off excess) and then into the hot oil to fry. When the onions become golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.