Thanksgiving Is Near, But Could We Eliminate Sweet Potatoes?

Yes, they're gross and unnecessary.

23

If you're ever on Twitter, then you are probably aware of a viral tweet that circulates every year around this time to discuss if sweet potatoes has a purpose on the table. I'm sorry but it is bland and tastes too mushy. Now people might say whoever is making it obviously doesn't know what they're doing. Stop with the delirium and face the facts that when it comes down to the whole meal, and you had to get rid of something you would choose the sweet potato. Here are 3 reasons why.

3. Hard To Digest

Now, it's Thanksgiving you have a plethora of delectable meals to devour before you. You grab some turkey (another discussion), mashed potatoes, but head to the sweet potato too. Congrats you just ruined your palate before it even begun. The mushiness combined with the reminiscence of turkey can leave an unhappy feeling. Additionally, researchers have found that, "It is a very starchy food and therefore with a less-than-optimal gut, sweet potatoes could trigger an issue like fructose malabsorption or even feed into certain gut infections" (Hoffman 2012)

2. The Weird Imbalance of Sweet and Bland

I concede that sweet potatoes is a versatile dish; however, people often complain that the dish no matter how it is prepared will either taste too sweet or too bland. Ask people around you what they think about them, but you cannot say that this dish is always a hot topic of discussion. Maybe it's the starch or the fiber, but these dishes often leave a bad taste in your mouth like your senses don't know whether to accept or reject. Mashed potatoes are always reliable.

1. Over Hyped

There is too much hype around sweet potatoes like people make pies out of them, turn them into fries which still lack in flavor and firmness compared to actual potato fries. To many cultures, sweet potatoes are a staple to many households so children are accustomed to eating this. Though if you do fry sweet potatoes it can be a over-salted mess or a plain mess, so do us a favor and just stick to sweets.

Hey, if you enjoy sweet potatoes in pies you do you; however, can we stop putting them as a forefront of Thanksgiving dishes? Thank you for listening, have a great Thanksgiving break! Hope everyone stays safe and full!