Thanksgiving In NOLA Is An Experience Like No Other

There are all sorts of interesting ways to celebrate the holiday that you might not experience outside NOLA.

32
Thrillist

Thanksgiving is a special time in New Orleans. There are all sorts of interesting ways to celebrate the holiday that you might not experience outside NOLA. A variety of events in November create a fun and festive atmosphere for people of all ages. One example is the famous Celebration In The Oaks. This event dubs itself "The most spectacular holiday lights festival in the country," and anyone who has attended will tell you that it lives up to this declaration. Every year since the 1800s New Orleans City Park has been decorating its grounds with lights and festivities. The attractions spread across 25 acres and consist of over 600,000 lights—definitely a must-see this season!

Another fun way to celebrate Thanksgiving is by indulging in some new holiday dishes that are essential to NOLA culture. The Turducken is a Louisiana classic that gives the typical Thanksgiving turkey a fun twist. It consists of chicken, stuffed into a duck, stuffed into a turkey, then cooked and enjoyed by all! The exact origin of this dish is unknown, but many agree that it was made popular by Paul Prudhomme, a Cajun chef. The creation is often further stuffed with breadcrumbs or sausage. Some intricate recipes even call for a different stuffing for eat meat! The final layered product can be grilled, roasted, or barbecued to produce a delicious spin on a classic meal. If you're a fan of meat, you won't be able to resist this amazing southern dish.

If you don't want to spend hours in the kitchen preparing your own Thanksgiving feast, a fun idea is to go to a restaurant instead. You can sit back, relax, and enjoy time with friends and family while someone else cooks your delicious meal. Many NOLA restaurants have amazing Thanksgiving specials, meaning you can be sure that your food will be high quality and probably prepared with some southern flare! Red Fish Grill offers everything from turducken gumbo to alligator sausage on Thanksgiving, as well as photo ops for your friends and family to remember the special day! Tivoli & Lee gives customers three courses of yummy food, including turkey benedict, a choice between gumbo and crab salad, and of course, a delicious slice of pumpkin cheesecake for desert!

Whether you're taking a tour of City Park, trying a new delicacy, or having someone else prepare your Thanksgiving meal while you relax in a beautiful New Orleans restaurant, you're bound to experience this holiday in a fun and unique way if you're in NOLA. Thanksgiving is all about spending time with loved ones and being grateful for everything you have, so grab your friends and family and go explore the amazing holiday traditions this city has to offer!