Going Home For Thanksgiving: Expectation Vs. Reality

Going home for the holidays brings out a mix of emotions in all of us.

152

After spending months on a college campus, working hard to balance school, work, and a social life, going home for a home-cooked feast at Thanksgiving sounds like a dream come true. But, sometimes, dreams are better than reality.

1. Packing your bags for the weekend

Expectation: I'll just pack a couple nice outfits. I'll only be gone for a few days.

Reality: Well, I may as well do some laundry there, and maybe my dishes. And, I need my shower supplies. And, my comforter needs to be washed. And, maybe Dad can fix my desk.

2. Arriving at your parents' house

Expectation: Man, I missed a nice mom hug.

Reality: OK, we have been hugging for 10 minutes. I think I can skip the mom hug for the next few holidays now.

3. Staying in your old bedroom

Expectation: Yes. Everything is just as I left it.

Reality: You converted my bedroom into your what? Craft room? Great. I'll just snuggle up next to your fabric pile ...

4. Thanksgiving Dinner

Expectation: This is going to be the feast of all feasts. Goodbye, cafeteria food. Hello, home cookin'.

Reality: I may have forgotten that my mom has a tendency to burn the turkey ...

5. Catching up with relatives

Expectations: "Oh, how exciting! Your life is going just as wonderfully as mine, and everything is great!"

Reality: So, you're a model now, and you're married to a male model, have a model baby, and your dog is a model. How awesome for you. Me? I am in a serious love triangle with food and stress!

6. Playing a game to bond

Expectation: What a fun way to bond! I haven't laughed this hard in ages.

Reality: You cheated! How could you? I hate this game!

7. Heading back to college

Expectation: Finally, I can go back to my friends!

Reality: Despite it all, there is no one I'd rather spend my holidays with.