Thanks Oneonta

Thanks Oneonta

As a graduating senior, I have many reasons to thank SUNY Oneonta

125
Thanks Oneonta
The Odyssey Online

Two-and-a-half years ago, I was not all to sure that I would graduate from SUNY Oneonta. I wasn't too sure if my place was here.

So if you were to tell me, that come May of 2017, I would be in the wake of graduation, writing an emotionally reflective article about how lucky I am to have found my place here, I would be shocked.

Well, here it is. In a few days, I will be leaving this town for good. I will come back for visits of course, but it will no longer be my second home, where I spend several months out of the year. It is all starting to hit me painfully hard, as impending graduation normally does.

When I look back on my short, but fulfilling journey here, I can't help but feel thankful for certain choices that I made. I have found myself in the perfect place at the perfect time on multiple occasions, and now I would like to reflect on six of those most crucial moments:

1) When I trolled the Freshman Facebook page at the perfect time.

Prior to move in, students who committed to Oneonta would post in the Freshman Facebook group to introduce themselves, and look for roommates. This was something I put off doing, until it was almost too late.

After a failed attempt to write a post in May of that year (well after most people stopped posting those sort of things), I decided to troll the page and message someone. I came across a brief post from a kid who liked soccer and basketball, and was also looking for a roommate. I figured, "Hey, he put a smiling face at the end of his post; he can't be that intimidating." So I messaged him.

That kid was the only potential roommate that I messaged, and we have now been roommates for my entire college career. Shout out to Sean for being a killer roommate and one of my best friends ever. I'm really happy that I procrastinated finding a roommate as long as I did, because I couldn't have foreseen a much better situation than what I've had.

2) Selecting the July 17-18th orientation section

I remember looking at all the random orientation dates, and having no preference at all whatsoever. I picked July 17th-18th because July 18th is my half Birthday. Wow.

Man was that a big decision. My Orientation Leader, Nate was exactly what I needed out of an OL, and one of my inspirations for becoming an OL myself this past summer.

On top of that, I met some of my first great friends in my orientation group, like my man Andy whose always had my back with workout tips. I also met my friend Sam, who noticed my familiar Massapequa shirt, and clicked with me immediately. Last but not least my friend Jackson, who transferred away after last year, but will always be one of my closest, most genuine friends.

Of course without Jackson and Sam, I never would have met my other current roommate of two years, Ian. I also never would have met my good friend Nicole, who lived in their hall Freshman year. Nicole and Ian are two more amazing friends that I feel spiritually connected too, and will always have no matter what.

3) Joining SUNY Chamber Singers

After moving in Freshman year, I knew I needed something more. I needed a friend group outside of the noisy Freshman dorms, and a way to meet upperclassmen. I decided to join Chamber with Jackson, and my friend Megan who came to Oneonta from Massapequa with me.

Little did I know that Chamber was exactly what I needed Freshman year. It gave me a true place to root myself, and genuine older friends that showed me that the best parts of college happen when you shed your Freshman skin.

Chamber allowed for my friendships with Megan, Jackson, and eventually Ian (who joined later on), to grow to new heights that I didn't see coming. It also began friendships with some of my best, current friends! (Kaela, Denny, Aliana, Jon, Tay.. that's you! ;) )

Though my Chamber adventures timely came to in end after the Fall of 2015, I am still very thankful for the experience that I had and can never deny how positively influential it was on me as a student here.

4) Sean's unfortunately late class picking time/Performance Practice

When Sean and I were picking classes for the first time for Spring of Freshman year, we tried to get into a gen ed class together. The one we were shooting for was Jazz. I remember how oddly stoked Sean was to take that class. He started playing jazz music in our dorm to get hyped.

Unfortunately, that class was filling up quicker than we expected. By the time I got to pick classes at 3:00 pm that day, there were only three spots left. I was hoping one would remain open for Sean's class picking time at 3:30. Unfortunately, the last spot vanished before our eyes, and we were temporarily at a loss.

Still with hope that we could land a class together that fulfilled that gen ed requirement, we did a little more research, and found that there was still one option; it was American Musical Theatre. We definitely were not theatre kids, but hey, maybe it would be fun. I did not see at all how it would affect my future.

Our professor for that class, Colby, was quite the extravagant woman. She was very sweet and approachable, and occasionally sang to the class for examples. This caught Sean off guard a bit, but I was 100% down with it. I was awakened.

All of her theatre and voice students had various performance classes and recitals that we could attend for extra credit. I never even thought about doing something like that, so very out of my element, until my friend Kaela brought it up to me. I mean there were barely any guys in that class at all, and I was about 1000 miles away from being your typical theatre kid.

After some consideration, I did come to see it as a perfect opportunity to get over one of my greatest fears, singing solo in front of people. I always hated performing because the nerves would make me nauseous, and this class would require me to get used to singing in front of people on a regular basis.

It was a bold move, but my ambition to get over this fear, along with having a few friends in the class, motivated me to audition for it. Having an oh so slight crush on my teacher might have pushed me a little bit too.

In these past two years, performing has become second nature to me. I got over my fears and then some. Taking that performance class is also the reason I have the vast majority of the friends that I currently have. I have gotten the chance to meet and work with so many people through the music and theatre department, and that is not something I expected to happen to me when I first got to school.

I have watched myself grow so much in these past two years being in Colby's performance classes and private studio, and I am so very thankful for that.

To think that none of that would have happened had Sean gotten into that Jazz class...

5) Becoming a night host in MacDuff Hall

One big thing missing from my Freshman year was a friend group in my hall. Sean aside, I never fully clicked with many of the people around my floor or building. This made it hard for the dorm setting to feel like a home.

Luckily, the following year, I got hired as a night host in MacDuff Hall. This allowed for me to make friends with other like minded night hosts and RA's throughout the building. Finally, I felt like I didn't just live in a dorm building, but in a friendly community, where I really had a place.

To all of those MacDuff friends, especially Shauna, Jamal, Sam, and Danielle. Your friendships in Macduff really meant a lot more to me than I could easily say. Y'all are a big reason that college became a second home for me, and I'm seriously bummed that we haven't gotten to spend as much time with each other this year.

Also a special shout out to my RD Leann, for hiring me despite maybe seeming a little sketchy for not having a social security card at the time. You're the best!

6) Becoming an Orientation Leader

One of the accomplishments that I am most proud of since coming here was landing an Orientation Leader position. As a student here who had a less than ideal Freshman year, I felt it was my prerogative, once I had finally found my footing here, to help incoming Freshman get on the right track.

I loved the OL position because I enjoyed being someone that Freshman could look at for advise. I also was able to make a bunch of incredible friends throughout the training process. Orientation and New Student Services is a big reason as to why I walk from class to class and see a bunch of friendly faces everywhere. I honestly couldn't ask for much more.

I grew up so much throughout my years in Oneonta. I really am starting to hate the idea of leaving this college that has shaped me into a true adult. Nevertheless, all good things must come to an end, and I'm sure that all of my learning experiences will set me up for many more good things in the future.

For anyone that I didn't get to talk about, I'm so sorry. I could go on for days about the people who made my experience here worthwhile. I am so thankful for all of you. Thank you all for reading, and being a part of my world.