Thank You, Grandma

Thank You, Grandma

From shopping days to late-night talks, you've given me so much.

3
Savannah Jackson

Dear Nanny,

We’ve been through a lot together. Even though I give you a hard time for packing 2 large suitcases (and then some) on your weekend trips to Dallas and for making fun of your emoji uses on text messages, I truly don’t know where I’d be without you. Growing up at your house and spending each and every day there after school for 9 years no doubt helped me become who I am today. You didn’t just turn on the TV or the computer and let me sit in front of it all afternoon—we ran errands, answered Jeopardy questions and played outside together until Mom came home from work. You never took a day off and always made sure I was happy and having fun. There was never a dull moment during my days with you, Nan. Thank you for being such an active part of my life.

Thank you for being the best shopping partner in the world. I get compliments on literally every outfit you pick out (not the ones that I find myself) and cherish the time we get to spend together. I’m so glad that you read every catalog that comes to your mailbox and know what’s "in” because I clearly have no idea. You walk to every store with me -- no matter how far away -- and tell me I look great in everything I try on. No matter what we did, spending days hanging out with you are some of my fondest memories; I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

You have been at every event I've ever participated in, Nanny. You never missed a softball game, a Grandparents Day, or any other crazy thing I did throughout my childhood. You sat through all of my violin concerts after listening to the pieces time and time again for weeks on end, went to every high school softball game and introduced yourself to everyone there as “Savannah’s Grandmother.” Your support means the world to me Nan, and it encouraged me to try things outside of my comfort zone because I knew you’d be there watching no matter what happened.

I know I give you a hard time for worrying about literally everything, but I appreciate the fact you care too much than not at all. From telling me in seventh grade volleyball to “not dive for the ball because you can just get the next point” to just this morning “I really don’t think you should be out past 8 because it’s dark," I could never forget how much you care about me, and I hope you know I care just as much about you.

I have no idea what I would do without you, Nan. You care so much about Grandpa, Mom and I (and even though you won’t admit it, you care so much about your favorite mini dachshunds Sandy and Char) and although we don’t say it enough, we love you so much too. You are such a wonderful person and I’m so happy that we have this unbreakable bond. I can only pray you know how special you are Nan.