Thankful I'm Not A Turkey

Thankful I'm Not A Turkey

But I am Thankful For ...

15
Thankful I'm Not A Turkey
Kirsten Ward

Thanksgiving always brings out what we’re thankful for. It’s always the time of year when we flaunt what we most appreciate in our lives, whether it be children, parents, significant others, friends, etc. I hope that while you're flaunting (myself included) that we all take a moment and realize that we should remind ourselves frequently that these things we’re thankful for around Thanksgiving, are things we’re thankful for the other 364 days of the year. It's pretty obvious if you’ve read some of my other articles what I’m thankful for. My family is my world, divorced or not, my friends as well. My lifestyle and education, my jobs and passions. All reflected in some way in my writing. So here are 40 things, little things I experience sometimes daily or not so often that play a big role in my life that I’m extremely thankful for. Sometimes we tend to over look the little things; those are important, too.

1. The each unique smell of home. Every time I come home, whether it be to my dad’s, mom’s or grandparent’s house, the smell always makes me feel safe and at home.
  2. The smell of the barn and the horses. Some people think that this isn’t a good smell, but it smells like home and love to me. I know it does to my horsey people.
  3. Finding a new song that I absolutely love. I don’t know what I would do without music.
  4. Painting my nails and not smudging them - this is rare.
  5. Getting not one, but two Thanksgiving dinners.
  6. Feeling good about an article I just wrote and better yet, hearing that I have a knack for it. Sometimes it’s hard to believe to me. I get stumped quite often.
  7. Turning on the TV and one of my favorite movies is on.
  8. When my parents tell me they’re proud of me. Also, hard to believe sometimes; I apologize for my sometimes sh*t storm of a life.
  9. The sound of the ocean.
  10. Being in a moment when you realize you’re truly happy and you wish/hope that other people experience that kind of bliss.
  11. Hitting all the green lights on Coastal Highway.
  12. That feeling after I know I’ve had a fantastic workout and for a second I instantly feel skinnier.
  13. Dunkin’ Donuts coffee. Even after ordering one every morning for two weeks, they never got old and still haven’t.
  14. A good beach day and salty skin.
  15. When someone compliments my tattoos.
  16. My old worn out Vans, even if they aren’t the same color anymore and have a hole where my big toe is.
  17. My talent in making the perfect green smoothie.
  18. A nice hot shower after an extremely long day or extremely hard workout.
  19. The perfect pair of bikini bottoms.
  20. Butterflies, the ones you get in your stomach.
  21. The smell after it rains.
  22. Having a really good night out with friends and giggling about it the entire next day even if you feel awful at work.
  23. Netflix, and its endless possibilities.
  24. Learning a new recipe or perfecting an old one.
  25. My favorite flannel, oversized, completely worn in and the perfect color of plaid.
  26. The first sip of a soda after you haven’t had one in what seems like forever.
  27. The perfect spoon full of peanut butter and Nutella.
  28. A really good stretch.
  29. Waking up with out an alarm and/or going to sleep without having to set one.
  30. A really good margarita on the rocks and if I’m lucky, really good soft tacos at Mother’s Cantina.
  31. Sour beers.
  32. Stopping the gas pump exactly on the dollar. Extremely satisfying.
  33. The smell of Christmas time at home with the family.
  34. When I magically get my eyeshadow, in the rare event that I put it on - even on both sides.
  35. A fuzzy crush or two at Coconuts happy hour.
  36. When I’ve completed everything on my to-do list and feeling like the most productive human being on the planet.
  37. Constructing the perfect playlist.
  38. Being myself.
  39. KOMBUCHA.
  40. Most importantly - life and all its good surprises and bad.

Hope this reminds you of what little things in life you're thankful for :)