Why I'm Thankful Tijuana Is My Home Away From Home

The largest border in the world has the largest place in my heart.

122

Tijuana, Baja California -- a city immersed by misbeliefs and stereotypes, whether it’s due to unfairly prejudiced media commentary or a plain lack of knowledge. The majority of individuals from this generation are blind to what lays behind San Diego’s southern border and I am tired of these allegations being made, because, to me, Tijuana is my home away from home. I enjoy the movement of cities, such as Chicago or Tokyo, which is part of the attraction I feel for Tijuana that I feel cannot be found anywhere else.

The excitement of the city is very much live. Whether it’s because of my love for spending Friday nights in Tijuana's stadium, Estadio Caliente, rooting for my home team, Xoloitzcuintles, or it’s dancing in trendy lounges in Plaza Del Zapato with the surround sounds on full blast. The hybrid culture of Tijuana seems like something Salvador Dali wishes he could have painted, and it’s an honor to be able to say that I get to play a part in its community.

Tijuana is a lover burning with passion who demands to be remembered, and it is because of her that I feel such a profound and perplexing love for TJ. You cannot compare the city to other industrialized cities in Mexico, like Mexico City that are so large they’re engulfed by their own size. Tijuana continues to hold its beautiful vision and local youth that everyone around it can feel and will never want to let go. Even after countless years of spending nights crossing the border to get to Tijuana, there is so much that has been left undiscovered, and it’s this mystery that drives my endless desire to discover what is lurking in its shadows.

If you don’t believe me, you can ask Hollywood. If you drive 15 minutes south through the Autopista Escenica Tijuana-Ensenada, you can find Rosarito, which is where various Oscar-winning movies have been filmed. Hint, one of them involves Leonardo DiCaprio on a sinking ship. Drive more on down south and visit Puerto Nuevo. Trust me, I’m not a big fan of lobster, but it’s damn worth making the drive south. Here in Puerto Nuevo, they discovered an ultimate way to prepare lobster that may be beyond anything you’ve ever tried before. Lobster burritos anyone?

What did make its way out of the shadows was Valle de Guadalupe, Mexico’s premier wine valley. Valle is Baja California's Napa Valley and is a part of the greater Tijuana area. With restaurants emerging left and right, it’s become an essential part of Baja California’s credibility. Every other weekend can easily be spent in these endless wine-lands that are beautiful and true to its brand.

Besides the fact that Tijuana’s geographical location is a cultural hotspot, there are many reasons for a Tijuanense to be thankful Tijuana is home. In a city of growing opportunity, it can easily be said that Tijuana has flourished because of the people around it. With it’s swooping international tourism, it’s not going to stop now. From the birth of the Caesar Salad to delicately made, yet indulgent tacos, Tijuana’s culture will be its own evolution. Tijuana is basically San Diego’s groovier alter-ego, everything you want San Diego to be, you can find south of its border or forever in my heart.