To My Baby Brother

To My Baby Brother

You're the best pain in the butt a girl could ask for.

20
To My Baby Brother
Lisa Vinal

It’s November, the month of Thankfulness. Most of us spend this month focusing on the things in our life that are important to us, and that make a difference in our lives. We are all thankful for different things, whether it be our health, our wealth, or our education. We focus on the things that we can hold in our hands and manipulate, like objects and cash. But this year, little brother, I’m thankful for you.

You’re a complete pain in my butt like 99% of the time. I’d say all of the time but I’m a nice older sibling so I won’t go quite that far. Absolutely no one knows how to push my buttons and irritate me the way that you do. Even so, you’re the best little brother a girl could ask for, and I wouldn’t replace you for the world.

I’ve watched you grow up. I’ve been there for all of your big achievements from your first words, your first steps, your first day of school, to your first girlfriend. I’ve watched you in all the sports you’ve tried, I picked out your clothes for your first school dance, and I even sat as close as I could to the front row when you performed in the town theater.

I know I’m not the best sister in the world. I’m not there for every aspect of your life the way I would like to be. But you should know that I am always proud of you. I’m proud of the man you’ve become and I’m proud of the things you’re going to do in life the older you get.

I’m so thankful to have such a pure spirit in my life the way that you are. You see the good in everyone and you always smile, even when the skies are dark. You’ve seen more hatred in the world than I would have ever hoped for you, but you continue on and that’s the kind of bravery I’m so proud of you for.

I’m thankful for the lessons that you’ve taught me. You were the very first person that I consciously loved unconditionally (sorry, Mom). You taught me how to be patient and that it’s ok to not win every battle and argument that I’m ever a part of.

I know that you’re young now, but I know that when you’re older you’re going to do some amazing things in this world. You’re changing lives right now, little brother, mine included, and that won’t stop now. You are more loved than you could ever imagine.

You’re a pain. We fight and we bicker but kid, I would go to the end of the world for you. I love you and I’m so very thankful to have you in my life. I wish I could be there for you more, I hope you understand. But just because I’m not there doesn’t mean I’m not always thinking about you and loving you.

This month is the month of giving thanks. And I’m giving thanks for you, little Brother.