Being Thankful For What You Have

Being Slightly Injured Has Made Me Appreciate My Able-Bodied-ness Even More

I love that I have been lucky enough to be able to do so much.

14
Lauren Barnette

Recently, while helping a friend move, I fell down a few stairs and hurt my ankle. It is not broken, and I don't think it is sprained (hello Gen Z-er here who doesn't go to the doc unless 100% necessary), but I have had it wrapped in a bandage and have had to limp for the past few days. Also, conveniently, I was scheduled 5 days in a row, all 7-8 hour shifts doing tasks where I am standing or walking almost constantly, but nevertheless I will do my job to the best of my ability.

The thing is, even though I am barely injured; and refuse to ask for help when I probably need it; I have come to appreciate my able-bodied-ness more than I already did. Trust me, I knew I was very lucky to start that I can run and jump and do as I please without much effort, and having family with physical disabilities does help me see the light of that, but having anything holding me back from my normal pace makes me realize how much I can do, and love that I have been lucky enough to be able to do so much.

I honestly don't know how I would ever handle not being able to do everything on my own. Needing to sit more frequently, or having to hobble and not being able to get places as quickly as I normally do hurts me. I love being able to rely on myself, drive myself wherever I may need to go, and being able to help others in any way they need. So, use this as a PSA; be thankful for your body, and don't judge those who might need a little help, it's harder than you may think to not be able to do everything. Offer help when you think it might be needed. But, at the end of the day, just be thankful, you're always luckier than someone else in one aspect or another.