A Thank You To The Best Older Brother A Girl Could Ask For

To a legend and an amazing brother, this one's for Harrison.

It's hard to put into words how thankful you could be for somebody. My older brother is the one of those people I can always turn to and is my best friend through it all.

Although we are hours apart studying for our futures, I know that Harrison is always a phone call away to edit my essays or cheer me up when I am having a bad day. No matter what the situation is, Harrison will drop what he is doing to help his little sister.

First and foremost, those of you who know me also know Harrison. We are the dynamic duo. We are two peas in a pod. Everybody is constantly telling me how lucky I am to have a brother like him, as if I didn't already know.

Growing up, we would be best friends one moment, and fighting the next. We played. We fought. We cried. We laughed. And at the end of everyday, we loved each other more than the last.

Having Harrison by my side through out my parent's divorce made things a lot easier. He would always make me laugh to take my mind off of things. Without his consistent humor, the entire process would have been much worse.

In 8th grade, I helped Harrison pack up to leave for college. I never talk about this day since it was one of the worst days of my life. My best friend left me to go become the successful person he was always meant to be. I no longer had someone to laugh with or fight with. His room was empty and in the blink of an eye, he was gone.

Even though we had phones and computers to video chat and text, it was never the same. There were no more iMovie videos, tutoring sessions that turn into screaming brawls, and scary movie nights.

It was hard to be happy for him when he was miles away and I was now an only child. I knew that I had to be strong, but how was I supposed to be happy when I knew that I would be coming home to his empty bedroom.

I knew that going into high school without my older brother by my side would be difficult, but he always made time for me and helped me whenever I needed him. I told him anything and everything. Sometimes, I told him too much. Either way, he was an ear that would listen to all my problems and I knew that no matter what I did he would always love me.

Thanksgiving became my new favorite holiday because he would fly home and things would feel normal again. Even though Thanksgiving was a week and Christmas was a month, it was only temporary and soon he would be back up at college.

During these times, I cherished every moment. The fighting became minimum and the bond became stronger.

Now, as a college student, I am constantly calling Harrison to talk about my day, revise my essays, and update him on anything going on in my life. Not only does Harrison help me with my work, he is always lending a hand to my friends and helping them with completely different subjects. I am so thankful for my built in tutor.

I am so excited to see what the future holds for my brother and I. He is studying to become a lawyer and I couldn't be prouder of his accomplishments. He is my role model and I am his number one fan. No one can beat Harrison Kay.

Happy 24th Birthday!

Love always, Your favorite sister,