To My Mother On Mothers Day

To My Mother On Mothers Day

Thank you for giving me everything I've ever needed and more

43
To My Mother On Mothers Day
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/05/13/636303157684796207-1890250499_o-MOM-READING-TO-DAUGHTER-facebook.jpg

Mom,

In my psychology class in high school, I learned about Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. It is a triangle that illustrates every human beings basic needs, all the way up to their superficial needs. I couldn’t help but think about how among this list of needs that have to be met, you have presented them all to me without questions asked. Starting from the bottom, the very basics touch on necessities like food, water, and homeostasis. These are things that go without saying, and they are services that every mother must provide their children with, in order to survive. Moving up one step, the list becomes more complex, including things like a sense of morality and security. The next level covers friendship, family, and relationships, and is followed by the level that discusses self esteem, confidence, respect of others, and respect by others. Finally, the top of the pyramid includes topics such as creativity, spontaneity, problem solving, and so on. It is really incredible to think that every tier does accurately cover the needs of every person, and specifically the needs of a child when growing and developing into a young adult. These essentials that have been reinforced make up the very fabric of every human being. These necessities must be met for one to achieve success and ultimately find happiness. I don’t know where I’d be and if any of these needs would have ever been satisfied without your guidance. So here I am, trying to find the words to express to you how thankful I am for you and for giving me everything I’ve so desperately needed without even having to ask for it.

I honestly don’t know where to begin. It is a weird thought to thank someone that has basically given you everything. I was thinking about the phrase “thank you,” and how there aren’t really any other words in the english language that really encapsulate all of the meaning that the phrase “thank you” captures. I thought about “I am grateful” or “I appreciate,” but I kept on coming back to “thank you,” because I just couldn’t find any saying really more fitting than just these mere two words. So instead of a letter expressing my gratitude for the everyday things you selflessly give me, I decided to make a list of "thank you’s,” for singlehandedly giving me everything I've needed without even realizing it.

For the times I’ve come home in tears, thank you mom for being the shoulder I cry on. When I received my first college rejection, thank you for teaching me that rejection is a part of character building. After I was given a solo in my dance recital, thank you for cheering me on and telling me that I was good enough. Thank you for teaching me how to respond when faced with adversity and for challenging my beliefs when I’ve been convinced that I was right. Thank you for dealing with my weird habits and my strange grocery requests. Thank you for valuing my education and for making sure I always try my best. Thank you for calling me and asking me how my day was. Thank you for missing me when I left for college and letting me know that our home is different without me there. Thank you for giving me your smile and your spirit. Thank you for my big brown eyes and my curly brown hair. Thank you for encouraging me to follow my dreams and respecting the decisions I’ve made to do so. Thank you for protecting me from the evil in the world as best as you can. Thank you for teaching me how to read and write. Thank you for tucking me in at night and letting me crawl into your bed when it’s thunder-storming outside. Thank you for loving me unconditionally and making sure I’m aware of it every day. Thank you for helping me make sense of the world. Thank you for telling me when I’ve been wrong and for helping me determine what is right. Thank you for teaching me about honesty and trust while confiding in me and valuing my opinion. Thank you for giving me all of your attention, when I’ve only asked for a piece of it. Thank you for giving me the things I’ve asked for and the thing's I wouldn't ask for. Thank you for always trying your best to never say no. Forget about everything I’ve wanted that you’ve given me, most importantly, thank you for giving me everything I’ve ever needed and more.