A Thank You To My First Roommate

A Thank You To My First Roommate

My transition from high school to college was so much easier because of my first-year roommate.

21
A Thank You To My First Roommate
Photo by Amy Oberholtzer

My first roommate was a person I randomly met on the roommate matching website provided by West Chester University. It seemed like until then, I was striking out in the roommate department and would have to go random. That was until someone named Kelly Waters messaged me, with similar interests and expectations for a first-year roommate. We decided to talk on Facebook messenger, and it seemed like we had never-ending conversations late into the night about anything and everything. We both introduced different things to each other and continued to have mutual interests

At drop-and-go (where you can come and drop a majority of your things off in your actual room in your residence hall) is where I would first meet Kelly in person. Although I knew what she looked like and what her interests were, I was still nervous to meet her. I got to the residence hall really early, and when she came in, later on, she gave me a hug right away.

Her energy and enthusiasm for college activities, such as football games and carnivals on the residential quad are what made my transition to college so much easier. It felt easy to move on from high school. So for that, I want to thank you, Kelly, for always being there. Little did I know she would become one of my closest and dearest friends to this day, and hopefully for life.

Without Kelly, I feel like my first year of college would have gone pretty differently, and I am so grateful that I had someone not only to talk to and hang out with, but to weather whatever things that college and life would throw at me. We tackled things together and made sure to communicate everything we were feeling, both positive and negative.

Whenever we hang out and see each other (which is few and far between since she transferred to Penn State), it feels like we never miss a beat. We never get stuck in the past of what could have been or talk too much about our separate lives. We create new memories and moments together and enjoy each other's company for however many hours or days we spend together.

There are so few people out there that I feel like I truly click with, and Kelly is one of them for sure. So, do yourselves a favor and go find or thank the Kelly in your life.