A Thank You Letter To My Best Friends

A Thank You Letter To My Best Friends

Thank you for choosing me.

29
A Thank You Letter To My Best Friends
Gwendolyn Opiela

Dear Friends,

Thank you for treating me with respect, so that I can recognize what it looks like. And so that I know when I am not being respected by others. When I forget (because I am human and I am not perfect) you continue to send me little reminders that I deserve to be treated with dignity. Sometimes I listen, and sometimes I don’t, but those reminders are what eventually pull me out of dark circumstances. When I feel myself going down a gloomy path, you are my light out. You show me a better way. Thank you for being my light.

Thank you for your unwavering support. It has been the reason why I have ventured confidently into an unknown future. You are my yellow brick road, and I will follow you into dark and light places, because I trust that you will lead me home. Every time I fall, you pick me up, brush me off and set me back on course. Thank you for being my guide.

Thank you for your patience. I can be impossible to handle sometimes, I know. I ask for aid and then I ignore your advice. I complain about a struggle, then push away your helping hands. I say “I can’t,” and I argue when you tell me, “Yes you can.” You stick by me no matter what, though, and it is your dedication and loyalty that helps me to find faith that, yes, yes I can.

Thank you for giving me joy. My happiest moments are my moments with you, and when I forget what it feels like to laugh, or to smile, you remind me. You have always told me, “I want you to be happy.” And I know you have always meant that, in the most genuine way. Anyone can say, “Smile, be happy,” but you do so much more. You pull me in close, protect me from those who do me harm, and you say “It is OK to be sad. It is OK to be mad. But I want you to be happy, all the time, no matter what.” You work every day to make me smile, and even when I can’t muster the energy, you never give up. You lift my chin and show me all the reasons I have to be grateful. You help me to see all the blessings I have in my life. I am so blessed to have you.

Thank you for accepting me as I am. I am most myself when I am with you. You have never tried to change me, and I have always been enough for you. When I find myself changing for others, you pull me back and remind me that I don’t need to be anyone else to find happiness and acceptance. You remind me that it is okay to be different from others, because it is those differences which make me, me. It is because of those differences that you love me. I am enough as is.

Thank you. Thank you for always being there, and for showing me what unconditional love looks like. You are more than friends – you are family. I chose you. Thank you for choosing me.