To The Mom And Dad Who Sacrificed So Much As First-Generation Immigrants

I promise you I'll make you proud one day.

21
Tabhata Paulet

Most people do not know this, but I was actually born in Peru and came here when I was only 10 months old. I was basically raised here my entire life, and have only been to Peru once in the sixth grade. Even though I did notgrow up there, my parents made sure we were extremely familiar with our culture by teaching us the language, music, food, and customs. I know having to leave Peru was not easy, but like they always say, they wanted a better future for us all. Both my mother and father became citizens of the United States and made sure they granted citizenship for myself at a very young age.Every day, I admire my parents for everything that they do for my sisters and I. They have provided us with food, shelter, and most importantly...love.

When they first came to this country, they worked long hours at different jobs to provide us with different luxuries. Even when my mom was pregnant with my second sister, she never stopped working. Even though I do not constantly remind her, my mom is definitely my Super Woman. For years, she would wake up at 5 in the morning to go to work and would not come back until night time. Thankfully now, she works at a less taxing job within the federal government. However, she has never stopped "grinding."

Thank you mom for waking up at 6 o'clock in the morning to prepare breakfast for all of us, our lunch for school, and dinner. Thank you for taking care of our sick grandmother and for always putting all of us first before yourself. Without you, I would never think that it would be possible to go to work, school, cook, clean, and still have time to spend with my family. You always inspire me to be a better student because if you were able to graduate with all the stresses being an adult brings you, I know I can easily accomplish my dreams.

Thank you dad for sacrificing long hours of your day working brutally for all of us. I know it is not easy coming to a different country when english is not your first language, but you never gave up. You always take care of my mother, sisters, and I, and I love you so much for that. You taught us the true meaning of a unified family, and to never split apart regardless of whatever happens.

Whenever I feel defeated and lose hope, I remember why I'm sacrificing so much for my future career- for my family. Having to wake up before the sun rises, coming back from work late at night would not be for nothing- I'll make you all proud one day. I never play with my future or take school for granted because I know there are so many children in Peru, and all over the world, who would die to have the same opportunity that I have-- to study here and obtain a professional career. No matter how long it takes, I will become a physician and the day that I do, my parents won't have to work another day in their lives.