A Thank You Letter From A Miami University RA To Her Residents

Wash your hands and go to your one on ones!

19
Photo by Anna Hernandez-Buces

Hi Girls,

I did not plan on writing this letter so soon. We were supposed to have two more months of classes and dorm life. But instead, here I am, so much sooner than I wanted, writing you goodbye.

I'm sure this isn't how any of you wanted your first year to go. I know I didn't want this for my first year as an RA. I'm already home, my room a disaster as I try to unpack, and I miss you so much. I miss being on campus and seeing your faces every day. And I miss the job. Sure, it was more late nights than not, and I might have given myself a few gray hairs over corridor program planning, but I loved every second of it, and it was totally because of all of you.

So, thank you for being the first group of students I had. You challenged me to think outside the box. I learned to be prepared for anything at a moment's notice. But on the less dramatic side, I made a few friends. I found it easy to connect with you. I knew no matter what I would support you throughout the year, but I didn't expect it to be so easy to cheer you on at soccer games or congratulate your achievements. Most days I boasted about you like a proud mom.

This was such a great first experience as an RA, and it's made me so excited to do it all over again in the fall. Although, it won't be the same. We're all moving around campus, and chances are we won't be seeing much of each other anymore. Next fall I'll have a new group of students, and you'll have a new RA. I hope I lived up to your expectations this year, and I can only hope that next year goes more smoothly!

So here's your final reminder from me to wash your hands, go to your one on one's, don't do anything I wouldn't do, and have fun! I'm so excited for all of you to continue growing and learning in your time here at Miami, and even though I might not be your RA anymore, I will always be rooting for you.

Love and Honor,

RA Anna